Signs and Wonders Roundtable Discussion - White Horse Inn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask Mr. Religion

Flatly Unflappable
Roundtable discussion article at Modern Reformation, on the topic of the Holy Spirit, freely available for the next three weeks:

Signs and Wonders

"The first time our associate editor heard someone talk about the Holy Ghost, she immediately thought of the Spirit of Christmas Past—a looming, spectral figure. As it turns out, she wasn’t alone. Maybe not everyone associates the Third Person of the Trinity with a story by Charles Dickens, but they may associate him with a higher spiritual state or spiritual gifts (such as healing or speaking in tongues), or any mystical experience. Other people don’t know what to think about him. Both reactions are understandable. In post-Great-Awakening North America, we’ve inherited a lot of peculiar ideas about who the Spirit is, and the scriptural account of who he is and what he does in redemptive history is a bit more obscure than those passages that concentrate on the Father or the Son. So where does biblical truth end and spiritual experience start?"​

Read the full transcript here:
https://www.whitehorseinn.org/article/signs-and-wonders/

Contributors:
Michael Horton is editor-in-chief of Modern Reformation and the J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California in Escondido.

Rod Rosenbladt now retired, served as professor of theology at Concordia University in Irvine, California, and as an ordained minister in the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.

Kim Riddlebarger is pastor of Christ Reformed Church in Anaheim, California. He is visiting professor of systematic theology at Westminster Seminary California and a frequent contributor to Modern Reformation.

Justin Holcomb serves as Canon for Vocations in the Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida. He also teaches at Reformed Theological Seminary and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.

Roundtable discussion article at Modern Reformation, on the topic of the Holy Spirit, freely available for the next three weeks:

Signs and Wonders

"The first time our associate editor heard someone talk about the Holy Ghost, she immediately thought of the Spirit of Christmas Past—a looming, spectral figure. As it turns out, she wasn’t alone. Maybe not everyone associates the Third Person of the Trinity with a story by Charles Dickens, but they may associate him with a higher spiritual state or spiritual gifts (such as healing or speaking in tongues), or any mystical experience. Other people don’t know what to think about him. Both reactions are understandable. In post-Great-Awakening North America, we’ve inherited a lot of peculiar ideas about who the Spirit is, and the scriptural account of who he is and what he does in redemptive history is a bit more obscure than those passages that concentrate on the Father or the Son. So where does biblical truth end and spiritual experience start?"​

Read the transcript here:
https://www.whitehorseinn.org/article/signs-and-wonders/

Contributors:
Michael Horton is editor-in-chief of Modern Reformation and the J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California in Escondido.

Rod Rosenbladt now retired, served as professor of theology at Concordia University in Irvine, California, and as an ordained minister in the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.

Kim Riddlebarger is pastor of Christ Reformed Church in Anaheim, California. He is visiting professor of systematic theology at Westminster Seminary California and a frequent contributor to Modern Reformation.

Justin Holcomb serves as Canon for Vocations in the Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida. He also teaches at Reformed Theological Seminary and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.
Coming from a classic Pentecostal position to where I am at today in regards to the works of the Holy Spirit among us, this is a very needed topic to discuss in the Body of Christ.

Coming from a classic Pentecostal position to where I am at today in regards to the works of the Holy Spirit among us, this is a very needed topic to discuss in the Body of Christ.
Indeed.

While I am at it, I would like to point out to all that I started a thread with a title that stands alone. No one need click the title to find out what I am actually writing about. Should a person read the opening post, note that it contains more than just a link with an innocuous "What do you think about this?" statement. Rather the opening post provides some vital context about what the reader may expect to read and does not assume my thread title is part of my opening post. Q.E.D. ;)

Indeed.

While I am at it, I would like to point out to all that I started a thread with a title that stands alone. No one need click the title to find out what I am actually writing about. Should a person read the opening post, note that it contains more than just a link with an innocuous "What do you think about this?" statement. Rather the opening post provides some vital context about what the reader may expect to read and does not assume my thread title is part of my opening post. Q.E.D. ;)
I read through the full article, and found it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back