Show me your Bird ( hams allowed)?

Ham or Turkey for Thanksgiving?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
Alright folks….this thread is for you to show off your bird for Thanksgiving. To be clear this is not only for those who are EP (exclusive poultry) and pork IS allowed.

Personally I detest those holding to the Exclusive Poultry position for this day, and would be happy to find myself in an OEP (Orthodox Exclusive Porkery) gathering when it comes to Thanksgiving meatery!

Today I am working on a double Apple smoked ham with a Pineapple Brown Sugar Jack Daniels glaze. I will save my photos and post once I am done.

P.S. I am a lover of cranberry sauce (canned included). Oh and YES, Side dish photos are welcome! The poll question pertains to your preference and not necessarily to what is being served.

Last edited:
I selected Other because I am a universalist. While I respect and appreciate the traditional turkey-oriented conception of the liturgiculinary calendar, and in fact frequently participate in and identify with the truth claims of that worldview, I consider it one of only many possible roads to gastronomic bliss. I would gladly embrace MoHAMedan thinking or chickenology and have even been known to philosophically ponder whether holding the Feast of the Seven Fishes at this time would cause a rift in the space time continuum.

@Taylor I see you still maintain your Chiconimist tendencies! Fine if you want to still apply Juiciary laws… I’ll allow it!

Last edited:
Currently slow smoking a Prime Rib (oak & pecan) ... and a smoked Turkey (oak & apple wood) for the traditionalists. Both are usually good! Not sure I will remember to take pictures, but if I do - I will try to post them.

On special culinary occasions like holidays I prefer meats that are, by American standards anyway, somewhat exotic: Lamb, Goose, Duck, Pheasant... Not that I always get 'em. Today it's off to the daughter-in-law's parents' for ...Turkey...

Here's one bird's opinion.

dc974535df0ad22cc068ea5b77f4e9dbceece9d60c536f13bd5ee4f8c80e1d2f.jpg

TexMex Thanksgiving meal. Superior to Turkey in every way. Burrito fare, tostadas, enchiladas, bean dip. Fixins.
9A075337-A186-4584-ACA4-A6AB9CDA5DA6.jpeg

CA92ED4C-7B1D-4248-9A99-AF80A8398DE5.jpeg 03C445D2-6D43-460F-BD86-CD7A62F7496E.jpeg 66D35DDD-9B78-43F2-86D8-23E0A523C7A3.jpeg

Well here it is, but I forgot to take a picture of the ham after the glaze which is the best photo. I know I suck. So just imagine the last picture with a stick candy like glaze of Jack Daniels!

I'm having a brisket, smoked low and slow. I'm not a turkey eater, once every 5 years is enough for me and this is only year 1.

First time smoking a turkey using a pellet contraption on a regular large gas grill. We've done pulled pork this way and plan to do a brisket in a few weeks. 20211125_172043.jpg

No picture, but I also introduced my family to one of those Southern fits-no-category dishes: pineapple casserole. Is it a side dish? Dessert? Fruit for health? It is full of butter, crackers, cheese ...

20211125_144808.jpg
20211125_150536.jpg 20211125_180648.jpg 20211125_145212.jpg Strictly ERB (exclusively roasted bird); stuffing and gravy (not pictured). Also yellow cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate cookie crumb filling inside and dark chocolate ganache outside. Ended up with way too much food and like 5-6 pies along with the cake.

View attachment 8635
View attachment 8636View attachment 8637View attachment 8638Strictly ERB (exclusively roasted bird); stuffing and gravy (not pictured). Also yellow cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate cookie crumb filling inside and dark chocolate ganache outside. Ended up with way too much food and like 5-6 pies along with the cake.
I’ve never seen a chicken roasted… sitting up. Is that a thing?

Hope everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving!

Supposed to be flat but I didn't quite get it mashed down; and it was a small turkey. It's the method you cut the backbone out and roast it high heat fast.
I’ve never seen a chicken roasted… sitting up. Is that a thing?

Hope everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving!

We had hamburgers for lunch and hanger steak for dinner.
Both cooked in a Ninja indoor grill which did a surprisingly good job.
We gussied up our meal with a pavlova. It was exquisite.

Turkey all the way. I'm a stickler for orthodoxy. I'm pretty sure it's what the Westminster divines insisted on for their Thanksgiving dinner. I baked the 24 lb. bird breast down for the first two hours and then turned it and waited until 155°. I guess Grant convinced me to become EP. ;)

IMG-20211125-WA0002.jpg

Turkey all the way. I'm a stickler for orthodoxy. I'm pretty sure it's what the Westminster divines insisted on for their Thanksgiving dinner. I baked the 24 lb. bird breast down for the first two hours and then turned it and waited until 155°. I guess Grant convinced me to become EP. ;)

View attachment 8640
Breast down is a pro trick… Tim you just increased in points on my personal cool meter, even with your EP position. I guess you are a real TR (Turkey Roaster). Nicely done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back