Ham or Turkey for Thanksgiving?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rules are simple -

Thanksgiving = Turkey

Christmas = Beef

Easter = Ham

Theological conservatives, can, of course, ignore the last two.

Smoked Prime Rib:
261084361_10159521228519771_3978503585114117250_n.jpg

Smoked Turkey:
260131387_10159521077434771_3241223952688734938_n.jpg

Okay, you win! What internal temp do you pull the prime rib out?

I pulled it out at 120 then get the fire really hot, sear it, and then let it rest for about 30 minutes and then carve. Usually ends up nicely Medium Rare all the way through. Cooked at 225 degrees (well, with variance in the smoker temp, between 225 to 250). Took around 3 hours for a 9.5 lb. boneless roast.

I pulled it out at 120 then get the fire really hot, sear it, and then let it rest for about 30 minutes and then carve. Usually ends up nicely Medium Rare all the way through. Cooked at 225 degrees (well, with variance in the smoker temp, between 225 to 250). Took around 3 hours for a 9.5 lb. boneless roast.
Traditional smoker, pellet, or electric?

Traditional smoker, pellet, or electric?
I use a Weber Smokey Mountain Bullet Smoker. Oak lump with Pecan wood chunks. Empty water pan for prime rib.
I have used this Smoker for about 18 years now. Amazing airflow and well built.
The results are magnificent whether I am cooking brisket or pulled pork or chicken or prime rib or pork ribs.

The Turkey was done on a Weber Kettle setup for indirect cooking.

If I'm cooking, I prefer a nice pork shoulder to a turkey. It feeds just as many, is easier to keep moist, and is much easier to carve. Yummy and light work.

But this year we are with my wife's extended family, which means it had to be turkey, along with several side dishes which have never varied in all the years I've known them. One year, a couple of the guys decided to deep-fry one of the turkeys. The traditionalists in the clan looked at them with suspicion and would not eat it.

No pictures. We were with some of our URC Dutch brethren (not to be confused with the Oregon coffee chain Dutch Brothers). We had ham and turkey. That's the way I like it. That prompted my choosing "other." If I was forced to choose one, it would be turkey for Thanksgiving.

Also, dark meat is the only option for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back