Should we view reformed Presbyterians/Baptists under same Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reformed Churches of NZ subscribe to the Westminster Confession and the Three Forms of Unity.

The NZ Reformed Baptists subscribe to the 1689 Baptist Confession.

Perhaps I should clarify my previous comment about the NZ Reformed Baptists. Some time ago I had a conversation with an esteemed Reformed Baptist pastor (whose church is fully confessional). We agreed that one of the challanges for the NZ Reformed Baptists is that the churches had come from a variety of backgrounds - charismatic, general baptist, dispensational etc. Therefore many had not fully reflected on what it means, theologically, to be a confessional Reformed Baptist. The tendency is to believe that as long as one is a Calvinist and non dispensational this is sufficient. Certainly there are good things happening with the Reformed Baptists here; long term my prayer is that a full confessionalism and godly piety here will continue to grow.
There is an interesting tension in us who are baptists and also are coming around to a more reformed viewpoint on the doctrines and the scripture teachings, for though we do desire to grow and mature in those areas, there is also the deep seated belief that we as baptists are free in the lord to form our own beliefs, and also to view the Bible alone as a source of such beliefs and practices. The use of Concession and Creeds are thus quite foreign and alien to us. This is why many of us are still stuck in a partial reformed, and also partial Baptist viewpoints in certain things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back