Should visitors give an offering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a good case to be made for collecting the tithes and offerings (giving) during corporate worship. E.g. it is in the Westminster Directory of Publick Worship (as referenced in an earlier post).

It is not listed as one of the regulative principle attributes of corporate worship, however.

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

IV. Prayer is to be made for things lawful;[13] and for all sorts of men living, or that shall live hereafter:[14] but not for the dead,[15] nor for those of whom it may be known that they have sinned the sin unto death.[16]

V. The reading of the Scriptures with godly fear,[17] the sound preaching[18] and conscionable hearing of the Word, in obedience unto God, with understanding, faith and reverence,[19] singing of psalms with grace in the heart;[20] as also, the due administration and worthy receiving of the sacraments instituted by Christ, are all parts of the ordinary religious worship of God:[21] beside religious oaths,[22] vows,[23] solemn fastings,[24] and thanksgivings upon special occasions,[25] which are, in their several times and seasons, to be used in an holy and religious manner.[26]

So we might say the Word, sacraments, prayer, singing spiritual songs, vows, thanksgiving are essential worship.

Again, this is not to say that tithing (giving) is not appropriate for corporate worship.

But a good case can also be made that the incidents of it (e.g. how often, whether done formally during corporate worship, etc.) are not strictly regulated, biblically. Not in the New Testament, anyway.

For example, I know of a fine church that does not pass the plate at all, merely makes a short announcement- and uses the saved time to preach, teach and encourage right hearing of the Word. It also takes away one "stumbling block" to unbelievers (church is only about getting money). Nonsense, yes, but what an unbeliever thinks about this is really nonsense.:)

Last edited:
Another way to look at this is, What was Paul's home church? I'm guessing he didn't see the church in such a narrow view as one specific location. I don't see the body in such a narrow view, so why would you give narrowly? Do I not partake in the Lord's Day not only with my immediate church family, but all my brothers and sisters in Christ worldwide? I believe so. So I don't see the reason for the self imposed mandate of "home" church only.

Also I agree with giving as apart of worship. So why would I exclude one form of worship on certain Lord's Days (when not based on practical reasons such as not having a pay check to give from that week) based on the fact that my "GPS" location might be slightly different that week. The spiritual location is still the same.

Another way to look at this is, What was Paul's home church? I'm guessing he didn't see the church in such a narrow view as one specific location. I don't see the body in such a narrow view, so why would you give narrowly? Do I not partake in the Lord's Day not only with my immediate church family, but all my brothers and sisters in Christ worldwide? I believe so. So I don't see the reason for the self imposed mandate of "home" church only.

Also I agree with giving as apart of worship. So why would I exclude one form of worship on certain Lord's Days (when not based on practical reasons such as not having a pay check to give from that week) based on the fact that my "GPS" location might be slightly different that week. The spiritual location is still the same.

While I understand what you are saying about tithing (giving) when visiting other churches, we might add that there is a principle of supporting "where you are fed," a home church. And everyone ought be accountable to that home church as part of being a 'true' church.

So, the tithe (giving) is to support, in accord with the membership vows (to support that church's by serving in it, praying for people in it, giving tithe to it), that applies.

We do not have quite the same obligation, not by vow, not by practical necessity to the church universal.

But, giving generously- ought characterize the life of the believer, even if he happens to be away from his home church on a particular Lord's Day.

The problem I see is, we're not tied to any specific church or temple (woman at the well reference). So giving only to a home church seems to me to be contrary. For example would it be right for me to be under church discipline if I could show I gave fully - but lets say I gave part of my portion to a reformed missional effort?

I have never seen a special collection come with the tacit reminder not to neglect of "Home" church. So if I can give to an OPC church plant in Korea, why can't I give to an OPC Church in Florida?

Once when visiting a church when it was time for the offering they wouldn't take our money. To us it was an insult. We thought we were maybe sitting in someone pew. Actually we were setting in someone pew seat and the peolpe were not happy with us. They kept making remarks and faces at us. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back