Should visitors give an offering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack K

Puritan Board Doctor
The scenario: You're out of town and visiting another church to worship with them. It's a good church you believe is faithful to Christ. As part of the worship service, they pass an offering plate/basket.

The question: Do you usually give an offering in such a situation? Should visitors generally do so? Why or why not?

My wife and I found ourselves in this situation last Sunday and, to my surprise, we did not agree on the answer.

Scripture is clear, "Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it." "You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain." "The laborer deserves his wages."

Biblically, in recognition of the church universal, the same applies whether at home or visiting.

We try to always set aside as part of a travel budget, money for extra tithe (on top of home church giving) when we visit another church.

Such is a privilege and delight, likely also an encouragement.

I really don't think there's a "should" here (sorry, Josh, beat you to it!). I think you are free to, but I don't think we are paying the pastor for a good sermon, so it's
reasonable to tithe at your own church instead, or possibly in addition to.

Yes,
"tithe" used advisedly.

The civil law given Israel had several tithes that were binding under the Old Testament as a standard; now it is based on a principle of "first fruits" giving in the New Testament, as a testimony of God's ownership over everything, and not under the specifics of the Levitical system.

(But it's a word people understand what is meant, and carries the punch of conviction to all those who are not, but should be doing it as an ordinary discipline of the Christian life, looking to exceed it, and be generous with it, wherever they go) :):)

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

The term is used in the Westminster Directory of Public Worship, so as long as we understand how it is being used, I don't think we need to be afraid of using the term:

Westminster Directory of Publick Worship

a. From ancient times tithes and offerings have been made to
and received by God.132 They are a part of the ordinary worship
of God, commanded in the Law.133 Our Lord also taught
the importance of returning to God a portion of what one has
received.134 The Apostle Paul instructed the Corinthians to lay
aside their gifts for the saints in Jerusalem on the first day of
the week.135 This coincides with the day when the early church
met for worship.136

Not required, but you're using their building in which to worship. You're also using their heat, air conditioning, lights, furniture, etc. A modest offering would be the decent and appreciative thing to do. It's not like the money is going to one of the liberal mainstream denominations.

I'll usually drop a nominal amount in the plate - no more than $20 if cash, sometimes a bit more if a check. In my case, it's more of a tradition than a thought-through position.

I believe as a Christian that the offering is a part of worship. It is not something separate to be mathematically figured into my budget- so yes, participating in the worship of God, no matter where I did so, I would give an offering.

I just visited a church (we were travelling) and it seemed as if they were partially preaching health and wealth doctrines, so I withheld any offering to them.

I just visited a church (we were travelling) and it seemed as if they were partially preaching health and wealth doctrines, so I withheld any offering to them.

Advance research can help in finding a biblical reformed church. But, if one finds that is not the case, withhold (then double up at the next biblical, reformed one you visit).

Here's the rest of my story. My thinking last Sunday was not to give to the church we were visiting. My reasoning was as follows:

As a visitor I was a guest. It's appropriate to graciously allow the host congregation to treat me as a guest, not as a paying customer. My financial responsibility is to my home church, and I meet it regardless of whether or not I attend the service there on a given week. In the church we don't take a pay-for-services-rendered attitude, as if we need to put something in the plate each time someone gives us a sermon or plays music for us, like we were buying a movie ticket. Rather, we should give generously to support the whole of the church's ministries without really noticing what we're getting out of it. The idea of giving as a visitor suggests a pay-for-services attitude, which I don't like.

Such is my thinking. But... it's not quite that simple. At my home church, most of my giving is done for convenience's sake and tax reasons by electronic transfer. But I also bring a small amount of cash with me each Sunday because I recognize that giving an offering is a part of the worship service event. I usually have my kids put the cash in the offering basket on behalf of our family.

Well last Sunday, because we were visitors, I didn't supply the kids with any cash. But when the offering basket came around, my wife took action and pulled out a far larger than usual amount of cash, which we gave. I have no problem with her generosity (it's a great trait!), and wonder if her thinking may have been better than mine. The church we were visiting (a well-known Reformed congregation in Sanford, Florida) did a particularly good job of incorporating the offering into the hear-and-respond rhythm of the worship service. Indeed, our participation in that worship service would have seemed incomplete had we not, as a part of it, given an offering to God.

Have you further thoughts?

My further thoughts are - well done good and faithful servant!

I think it is wrong, though I understand how some reach their conclusions, to withhold an offering. If we believe that all we have is God's and that an offering is indeed a part of worship, then to withhold if we have something to give, is in error. If a church is heretical then we should get up and leave- if it is not, then we should participate in the full worship of our God-.

We don't give each week at my own church. We usually give bigger chunks monthly. So do you think I am not fully worshipping God during the weeks we don't give? That is interesting. As far as giving to churches you are visiting, I hate to sound pragmatic, but I like knowing the various ministries that will be supported with our gift. You would not likely know that as a visitor.
And I really have many, many faults, but stinginess isn't one of my biggest, so I don't think this is me being stingy--in case someone were to make an argument against that.

I have never given when visiting. The churches I have been to have always insisted that visitors not give anything. I thought that was pretty standard.

We don't give each week at my own church. We usually give bigger chunks monthly. So do you think I am not fully worshipping God during the weeks we don't give? That is interesting.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm not familiar with the practice of giving every week. I do it about monthly as well. We don't pass a plate; there's a box. I wouldn't feel obligated to give if I visited a church just once while travelling or something, though I might choose to do so anyway.

Jack K
As a visitor I was a guest. It's appropriate to graciously allow the host congregation to treat me as a guest, not as a paying customer. My financial responsibility is to my home church, and I meet it regardless of whether or not I attend the service there on a given week. In the church we don't take a pay-for-services-rendered attitude, as if we need to put something in the plate each time someone gives us a sermon or plays music for us, like we were buying a movie ticket. Rather, we should give generously to support the whole of the church's ministries without really noticing what we're getting out of it. The idea of giving as a visitor suggests a pay-for-services attitude, which I don't like.

Don't think like this.

God loves a cheerful giver.

There's nothing wrong with giving something when you are a "guest." (Not only money, but other things also)

One is not giving to the church for services, one is giving to God,

Or one is not rightly understanding what is happening.

Recently, we visited a church while traveling and after introducing myself, offered to help take down the chairs as the service was held in a university auditorium (they have to do this right after every service). The elder originally said, "no, don't bother," but was appreciative. Later, it opened fellowship in several directions.

In addition, we put money in, and greeted people who appeared to be new there (as at home). I'm not in any way saying this to call attention to myself, only that such behavior (welcoming, hospitality, sharing the load, contributing in every way possible) is part of what ought characterize the believer- anywhere they go.

But, ***especially*** in the household of faith!

2 Corinthians 9:7
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

2 Corinthians 9:6

King James Version

6But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

Colossians 3:23
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Last edited:
We don't give each week at my own church. We usually give bigger chunks monthly. So do you think I am not fully worshipping God during the weeks we don't give? That is interesting. As far as giving to churches you are visiting, I hate to sound pragmatic, but I like knowing the various ministries that will be supported with our gift. You would not likely know that as a visitor.
And I really have many, many faults, but stinginess isn't one of my biggest, so I don't think this is me being stingy--in case someone were to make an argument against that.

I don't think you're being stingy. I don't know about you, but I'm paid once a month. So I drop a check in the offering plate once a month.

My mom saw a person put in a 20 and take out a 10 one time. Must have been a visitor.

I don't think you're being stingy. I don't know about you, but I'm paid once a month. So I drop a check in the offering plate once a month.

Same here. Tim is paid monthly, I'm paid quarterly; we tithe when we're paid.

I'm paid a large scholarship sum twice a year, and give at the same time. For a few months I've also had a small biweekly income to offer from, but before that I always gave about twice a year.

I was in NYC and attended services at the First Prebyterian Church of the City of New York on Easter Sunday I made a small contribution at the service and then made my regular offering when I returned to the First Presbyterian Church I regularly attend and am a member of at home the following Sunday.

1 Corinthians 16:2
New King James Version (NKJV)

2 On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

I think you are responding to me? I believe that the offering is a part of the regulative principle of worship- So yes, I believe that giving an offering every time I am in worship, is what the scriptures teach. I think that we tend to turn the offering into a mathematical part of our budget and that in doing so we miss the intent. The offering is our opportunity to acknowledge all that we have is God's and that in faith and in love, we offer back to him that which he has commanded. I give as I am able weekly- I do not pay attention to how much or how exact- If I am in a church while on vacation I would behave the same way.

I have done this since hearing a short sermon series on the matter-

I think you are responding to me? I believe that the offering is a part of the regulative principle of worship- So yes, I believe that giving an offering every time I am in worship, is what the scriptures teach. I think that we tend to turn the offering into a mathematical part of our budget and that in doing so we miss the intent. The offering is our opportunity to acknowledge all that we have is God's and that in faith and in love, we offer back to him that which he has commanded. I give as I am able weekly- I do not pay attention to how much or how exact- If I am in a church while on vacation I would behave the same way.

I have done this since hearing a short sermon series on the matter-

What you have asserted in the above bold can still easily be done with monthly or bi-weekly giving too.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

I think the biggest issue when giving to other churches and ministries outside of our home church is that our giving to these other churches should only be in addition to or above our normal giving at our home church. For example, I think it's great if someone wants to give to another church they are visiting when out of town, however, I would have a problem if someone gave to this visiting church and in turn decreased their normal giving when back home.

The point I have attempted to assert is that our offerings are a part of worship, not separate- Do we give our corporate prayer bi-weekly or once a month? Our hymn singing? Sit under the preaching of the Word every other week? I am not trying to be argumentative, only offering an opinion sought after from the original OP. God does not need our money-it's already his. He does however command us to give an offering in worship- If I am traveling and visit a church-whether reformed or not- so long as the word is preached from a bible believing church- I would offer to God during His worship-in faith. I myself came from a non reformed background. I know God works in the hearts and minds of such believers- The church of Corinth itself was a tad bit off and yet God was alive and at work there. I love my church and am grateful to be able to regularly worship in, and give an offering to, such a God centered reformed body- However, the Church universal, is beloved of God and I am in truth a part of that whole body-not only the theologically Calvinistic one.

g'nite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back