Should the OPC and PCA merge into the OPCA?

Should the OPC and the PCA merge into the OPCA?

• Yes

Votes: 50 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 41 45.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, if we gain something in the bargain, other than size. If Presbyterians could come together in greater faithfulness to the Westminster Standards, stricter subscription, greater adherence to the Regulative Principle in worship and government, more biblical discipline, and a more deliberate effort to do the work of Christ’s church in preaching the gospel, planting churches, evangelism and missions. Yes! In the current culture of the two denominations, no!

Yes, as the other 'mainstream' denoms are beginning to see the need to return to confessionalism, we need a larger denom that doesn't look like it's a bunch of fractured calvinist cells.

Off course all true churches "should" merge, denomonational boundaries are not desirable and are a result of our sinful nature.

In practise though we do have differences and denominations are one way of preventing in fighting and enables us to proclaim the gospel rather than to argue internally all the time.

The OPC has its own problems. Why compound them with the PCA's?

Perhaps so that we can bear one another's burdens? (Gal 6:2)

Or they spread more rapidly because they no longer have denominational lines to jump. :think:

Kind of a pessimistic view, don't you think?
Should we not rather view the coming together of them as an opportunity to clear up the problems that exist within each separate denomination?
I don't really see confessional unity as an issue that would spread problems more rapidly through the church.

These discussions always remind me of Emo Phillips classic routine from 23 years ago -

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?" He said, "Yes."

I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"

He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too!

Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too!

What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too!

Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too!

Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too!

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

Perhaps so that we can bear one another's burdens? (Gal 6:2)

Or they spread more rapidly because they no longer have denominational lines to jump. :think:

Kind of a pessimistic view, don't you think?
Should we not rather view the coming together of them as an opportunity to clear up the problems that exist within each separate denomination?
I don't really see confessional unity as an issue that would spread problems more rapidly through the church.

Confessional unity shouldn't be an issue but it is. You should have been at the PCA GA in Dallas back in 2001.

BOb Godfrey used to talk about this a lot: a pan-Reformed synod that would serve the purposes of mission, education, and caring for pastors with benefit plan, as a testimony to our unity in the gospel.

Hadn't heard about that in awhile though, nor does Dr. Godfrey have as high of a public profile as in years past --not sure why.

No! The OPC has turned down several opportunities from the PCA to join. It will never happen, and personally I would not welcome that merger.

Stephen,

Actually, once the PCA turned it down; once the OPC turned it down.

The PCA has siphoned off the OPC's larger churches, so it can and may happen by attrition (not saying this is a good thing).

Love my brothers in the ARP and OPC, and could easily fellowship and serve alongside them.

Last edited:
Is it possible to get Presbyterians to agree on anything? :lol:

:popcorn:

Hmmmmm. Presbyterian groups uniting instead of dividing??? Isn't that against the laws of the Medes and the Presbyterians?

Reminds me of the old joke of the 5 people marooned on an island: a German, a Frenchman, an Italian, and two Scotsmen. The German set up an astronomical observatory, the Frenchman set up a vineyard and a winery, the Italian set up a bakery, and the two Scotsmen built First and Second Presbyterian Church.

For some reason this poll makes me think of Psalm 133:1.

"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!"

Yes. They're so close as it is, why divide over relatively minor issues? I think overlooking these differences for the sake of unity is well worth it.

What has been done concerning the creation debate? I don't consider that a small issue as some do. This is not just a hermeneutical argument in my estimation. It is a confessional issue as well as an issue of Biblical inspiration. At least that is how I see it. I know I am not PCA now but that would be my question concerning the union. The PCA historically has held to a 6/24 creation day. The OPC doesn't if I am not mistaken.

When I was in the RPCNA I didn't like the thought of the RPCNA flirting with this either. It would have removed the distinguishing marks of its historical stance on EP and the RPW as far as I was concerned. I was not EP but I learned so much and had such an appreciation for the view in a historical context that I didn't want to see it watered down. And it would have been.

It is a union vs. unity issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back