Should I be concerned about attending Westminster Seminary California because of pandemic shut downs/government over reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t speak for WSC, but I’ve heard things out of WTS that are troubling. Honestly, I believe ATS accreditation is dangerous and corrupting our seminaries. As someone who in his youthful arrogance and foolishness attended a big-name seminary for the big name, I would implore you not to take that route. I know you want to teach (I did, too), but focus more on solid, thorough, and godly Reformed training by qualified men over accreditation.
Anyone with questions about WTS should feel free to PM me.

For what it's worth, I'm currently taking my last classes for the M.A.B.S degree through RTS virtual and there has been absolutely zero CRT or any other "woke" ideas propagated in any of the classes I've taken. It's all been solid, confessional Reformed content. In all my interactions with professors and fellow students there also has been no advocacy for CRT or any other "woke" ideas.

Totally off topic, but seminaries like Westminister recieve finds from the federal government?? The mind boggles at the implications of this. Who ever thought this was a good idea?!
Thanks. That's helpful. I noticed that WSC received government funds through the pandemic so I figured they wouldn't be in a position to resist mandates. I did also notice the vaccinated/unvaccinated distinction. Did you experience that at all during your time there? Do they require proof of vaccination?

For what it's worth, I'm currently taking my last classes for the M.A.B.S degree through RTS virtual and there has been absolutely zero CRT or any other "woke" ideas propagated in any of the classes I've taken. It's all been solid, confessional Reformed content. In all my interactions with professors and fellow students there also has been no advocacy for CRT or any other "woke" ideas.
Glad to hear it.

He's the chancellor. I know he isn't personally woke. I see him the same way as Mohler. Personally conservative while sometimes platforming those who aren't (although I don't know of any who are currently teaching Wokism at RTS. I'd be surprised if there were).
Dr. Duncan is a little bit personally woke. He's changed in the last few years. There is some wokeness at RTS Orlando among the leadership as part of a general trend toward being "compassionate" and "winsome" which sometimes means what it says and sometimes doesn't. But RTS-O is doing a lot of good stuff in other areas so there's no question that it's overall a good place. It's just not strongly confessional and a bit wobbly on some of those issues.

Dr. Duncan is a little bit personally woke. He's changed in the last few years. There is some wokeness at RTS Orlando among the leadership as part of a general trend toward being "compassionate" and "winsome" which sometimes means what it says and sometimes doesn't. But RTS-O is doing a lot of good stuff in other areas so there's no question that it's overall a good place. It's just not strongly confessional and a bit wobbly on some of those issues.

I was in his class in 2006 and that's the last I interacted with him. He just seemed generic conservative at that time.

As one who recently graduated from WTS Philly, it's a mixed bag there about CRT and the like. There is a "sensitivity" about it, if you know what I mean, and many students are on board. We discussed BLM it in a class and it was not pretty - about three of us were staunchly opposed, more were staunchly for, but the great majority were in the middle tending toward for. The sensitivity is perhaps close to how World Mag deals with it.

On the tuition note, though, you might call. They recently overhauled their program so that all donor money goes to scholarships - I don't know all about it, but they may be liberal in giving it out. They may not. But in general WTS has scared me more than it has encouraged me on the CRT levels.

Mask mandate was in effect as long as the government mandated it, but graduation was thankfully very mask-less.

Hope that helps, let me know if I can answer anything!

Edit: Seeing a certain WTS Prof has commented, I'm sure he knows more, and I defer all difficult things to him. ;)

Last edited:
As one who recently graduated from WTS Philly, it's a mixed bag there about CRT and the like. There is a "sensitivity" about it, if you know what I mean, and many students are on board. We discussed BLM it in a class and it was not pretty - about three of us were staunchly opposed, more were staunchly for, but the great majority were in the middle tending toward for. The sensitivity is perhaps close to how World Mag deals with it.

On the tuition note, though, you might call. They recently overhauled their program so that all donor money goes to scholarships - I don't know all about it, but they may be liberal in giving it out. They may not. But in general WTS has scared me more than it has encouraged me on the CRT levels.

Mask mandate was in effect as long as the government mandated it, but graduation was thankfully very mask-less.

Edit: Seeing a certain WTS Prof has commented, I'm sure he knows more, and I defer all difficult things to him. ;)
That's really helpful. Thank you!

I'd be more inclined to trust a student's experience. Students have a far better grasp of the culture on a campus than individual teachers.

What class did you guys discuss it? No need to name profs. Just curious what sort of course.

I graduated WSCAL this spring. The last 3 semesters I was there (of 6 total) were pretty severely disrupted by COVID (either only online or hybrid with masking requirements). Right now, the seminary is open to in-person instruction and California doesn't seem to be pressing new restrictions at the moment. However, if there are any new restrictions, you can expect the seminary to comply fully. There also is some vaccinated/unvaccinated discrimination going on if that is a concern to you, as mandated by San Diego County (https://wscal.edu/media/docs/202122WSC_COVID_Guidelines.pdf)
Did you happen to live on campus in the new housing community?

WSCAL gives grants for prospective students to travel onsite to check out the place. I am sure they are willing to clear up any questions about attending there.

RTS confirmed they allow pets. Has anyone lived on campus at RTS? I have 3 kids, a wife and a dog. Floor plan is not on the website for a 3br apartment. Or does anyone know if the pool is a lap pool/JR Olympic?

Brother, even if you get an answer to a question here, wouldn't you want to confirm directly with RTS anyways for such a big decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back