Shoe wax on leather Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
Has anyone tried this before? The Bible is goatskin. The main reason is the navy color I had done is a good bit lighter than I thought; and was hoping to use black wax polish to either make it a darker navy or turn it black. Good idea? Bad idea?

Patrick,

I'm a little scared of doing a full blown dye on it.

What about leather honey? Have you heard good things about that? It's supposed to condition leather well and people say it darkens the leather as a side effect.

Also, another reason I'm asking is that the front cover has a kind of splotch/impression/spot on the leather and I had heard that wax polish had a chance at covering that up. Any suggestions for that too?

Patrick,

I'm a little scared of doing a full blown dye on it.

What about leather honey? Have you heard good things about that? It's supposed to condition leather well and people say it darkens the leather as a side effect.
Yes, leather honey will work just as well.

Also, another reason I'm asking is that the front cover has a kind of splotch/impression/spot on the leather and I had heard that wax polish had a chance at covering that up. Any suggestions for that too?
What is it exactly? A stain? A natural artifact of the leather that you do not like?

My inclination would be to clean and condition it like you would a saddle and tack, but taking special care to not get anything on the paper.

What is it exactly? A stain? A natural artifact of the leather that you do not like?

I'm not sure. I got my Bible rebound and it was there when I unwrapped it. The rebinder didn't seem to notice it. I contacted the leather supplier and sent him pictures; he said it was either a natural defect or an "impression" in the leather. He said these kinds of things were usually permanent (disappointing because I had ordered grade 1), but that I could probably cover it if I applied shoe wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back