Shenandoah (1965 Movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
It seems nearly impossible to find good cinematic movies these days. Most lack any redeeming qualities whatsoever, and are in fact unwatchable for one reason or another.

As such, when we're in the mood to watch something my wife and I find ourselves almost exclusively browsing through older offerings. We recently came across Shenandoah (1965), and both really liked it. First, we are big Jimmy Stewart fans, and we also enjoy movies with historical motifs. It is available for rent on both You Tube and Prime Video ($3.99).

Shenandoah is the story of a well-off Virginia farmer and his family, who find themselves caught-up between the warring factions of the American Civil War. Jimmy plays the family patriarch who is determined to see that the war leaves them unscathed. In the course of time this proves impossible, as events overtake them and they find themselves thrust into a desperate endeavor to try and keep as much of the family intact as possible. It's a tale entwined with drama, action, romance, humor, horror, tragedy, and ultimately coming to terms with the realities of life.

Here are a couple of trailers:

BONUS FEATURE, but one that requires a SPOILER ALERT:

Perhaps my favorite aspect of the movie is somewhat subtle, but nonetheless quite palpable if one is paying attention. One of the opening scenes has Jimmy saying a very prideful dinner "prayer," in which he arrogantly lauds the family's hard work as the sole means of the bounty they enjoy.

However, the dire and woeful events that transpire over the course of the movie serve to break the family, especially the father. In striking contrast to the self-righteous prayer seen at the beginning, the closing scene finds a thought-to-be-lost son stumbling into a church service the forlorn family is attending. Upon this miraculous reunion everyone, led by the greatly humbled father, breaks into a heart-felt rendition of, "Praise God from whom all blessings flow!"

Last edited:
Will have to watch it again all the way through. Ive only seen parts. My dad is a huge western guy so I'll tell him to remind me when its on the Western channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back