Sermon Series on Malachi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul1976

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi All,

I'm trying to better understand the OT prophets (an area where I'm weak) and would appreciate help locating a good sermon series on Malachi. Since I spend 50 minutes in the car most days, I find listening to quality sermon series one of the better ways to learn.

Thank you Patrick,

I did buy a commentary. I've read the overview and will be reading at least parts on specific passages. (The Books of Haggai and Malachi (The New International Commentary on the Old Testament) by Pieter A. Verhoef). I don't use Logos (yet).

Regarding SermonAudio, I almost never recognize any of the pastors that turn up in searches there. I haven't had much luck locating good sermon series there in the past. I'm sure there are some good series there, but I find it hard to sort through.

The McComskey commentary is excellent, but is rather technical. For laypeople, the best commentaries out there are Mackay and Duguid. Verhoef is good. I suspect the new commentary by Allen Ross will also be very good indeed.

Hmm. I'd have to go with four: Davis, Mackay, Currid, and Duguid.
Those four are good. If forced to be more precise, I would take Currid on the Pentateuch (his expertise) and Davis on the historical books. I've never read anything by Davis that I did not view as supremely helpful.

Those four are good. If forced to be more precise, I would take Currid on the Pentateuch (his expertise) and Davis on the historical books. I've never read anything by Davis that I did not view as supremely helpful.
I'd concur with the high praise of Currid, Davis and Mackay, and am grateful for the kind words regarding my own work. To my knowledge, Currid and Davis haven't written on Malachi. I can't speak to their repertoire of audio sermons. Mackay has a volume that includes Malachi in the Christian Focus series "Focus on the Bible". My own sermons on Malachi are available on audio free at Christarp.com, and will be coming out in the Reformed Expository Commentary series next month (with Zephaniah and Haggai, and with help from my former co-pastor in Grove City, Matt Harmon).

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the many helpful replies. Sorry - I got busy at work and wasn't here as much as I expected to be.

Ed Walsh - I actually do have the free version of Logos - I just don't use it. I think part of it is that, without much of a library, I don't know that the software is all that useful. And, it's hard to justify buying a library for software I don't use. I realize I may use it a ton if I had a halfway decent library, but I really love physical books and am hesitant to buy them electronically for comparable prices, especially for ones I own.

Fred Greco - I completely agree on Monergism.com. I've found some real gems there as far as sermon series go, and the rest of the site is great for other reasons. For Malachi, with something like ten series by names I didn't recognize, I was hoping for a bit of help to narrow it down.

Py3ek - Thanks for the recommendation - I'll try it.

Ian Duguid. Thanks for pointing me to your sermons. I'm downloading them now. I really appreciated your Daniel commentary when I read it a few years ago, and I know my pastor relied on it heavily when he preached through Daniel a bit after that.

Just a follow-up for anyone viewing this thread - Iain Dugiud's series listed above is outstanding and well worth listening to. I will be getting through more shortly and will update with any more material that may be beneficial.

Just a follow-up for anyone viewing this thread - Iain Dugiud's series listed above is outstanding and well worth listening to. I will be getting through more shortly and will update with any more material that may be beneficial.
Thank you; most kind. For those who prefer written format, the REC on Zephaniah, Haggai and Malachi just came out this last week.

I have been enjoying Dale R. Davis on Samuel and Kings. What is your opinion of Davis?
I had Dr. Davis as a professor in some OT classes. I have also heard him preach betimes. All I can say is that God has gifted him immensely. I would readily read or hear anything from him. He is no doubt one of God's greatest gifts to the church of our day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back