Sermon Quotes --Post quotes from sermons that were a blessi

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
From Robert Candlish, Discourse III of his "Life in a Risen Saviour". A quote from the introduction and from the conclusion.

" 'For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: and if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.'
"Ye are yet in your sins because Christ is yet in your sins. And your faith, committing you to Christ, uniting you to Christ, makes you sharers with him in whatever is his condition, in whatever is his fate. You cannot be better off than he is. The utmost your faith can do for you is to make you one with him, to identify your interests with his, to secure that as he is, so you shall be. If, therefore, he is yet in your sins, then of necessity you must be yet in your sins also.
"He was 'in your sins' when he died. They were about him; they were upon him; they were his. He owned, he felt them to be his. 'Innumerable evils have compassed me about; mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are the more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me' (Psalm lx.12). So your iniquities took hold of him as if they were his own. He made them his own. Making common cause with you, putting himself in your place, he was in the midst of them, he was under them. I repeat, Jesus Christ our Lord was 'in your sins' when he died.
(...)
"Well may Paul say, 'If Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.'
"But on the other hand, if Christ is risen, how complete, how surely and gloriously complete is our deliverance! He is rid of our sins now. And if we are in him, we are rid of them too, in the very same sense, and to the very same extent that he is. He was in them once; in their guilt, in their curse; so thoroughly in them that there was no escape for him either from a criminal's death, or from a criminal's grave. But he is not in them now. Nor are we, if we are in him. 'There is now no condemnation to them who are in Christ.' Our faith in him is not now vain: for 'he died for our sins, and rose again for our justification.' "

Joseph Irons:"Jesus Betrayed...

....And Condemned" 4/1/1849 On imputation:

"I count it the quintessence of the gospel,the very marow of divinity,the very soul of the Bible,the very epitome of the covenant of grace--in a word,there is nothing that stands before the child of Adam as a fallen creature,but imputation or damnation;and the soul that goes out of this world without the imputed righteousness of Christ upon it must eternally perish...Imputation is the glory of all the inhabitants of heaven;for while they surround the marriage supper of the Lamb,every one of the guests has His righteousness upon him,being imputed to him as his wedding robe...Imputation is the joy of heaven,the breath of glorified spirits,the dress of all the election of grace,to the honor and glory of the God who gave it.Imputation is paternal love putting forth its stores.Imputation is the whole work of Christ cast upon the ruined ,helpless sinner.Imputation is the act of the Eternal Spirit,taking of the things that are of Christ,showing them unto us,and placing them upon us.Imputation is the ground of the Christian's confidence.It is the sum and substance of the gospel testimony.It is the running title of the whole word of God.It is the peculiar characteristic of the covenant of grace.It is set forth,in type and shadow,in the whole legal dispensation.It is the song of the Psalmist;the prediction of the prophets;the testimony of Christ,and the preaching of His apostles.Is it yours beloved?Do you wear it?Can you go to God with it?Do you appear to-day in the court of heaven in it,with 'Lord,here am I;by nature deserving nothing but hell.I have tried to clothe myself,but my apparel was naught but filthy rags,and I felt more ashamed in them than if I had been naked.But now I come before thee dressed in the righteousness of Christ,covered in His robe from head to foot;'so that now there is neither spot nor wrinkle,nor blemish,nor any such thing to be discovered in the devoted and accepted child of God.Oh,my hearers,do hang upon this sweet word 'imputation'.It is the end of Christ's sufferings.He lived,obeyed,conquered,and died that His righteousness might be imputed unto all His family..."

Not really a sermon,but an address.

This is entitled :"Not corrupting the Word"by J.C.Ryle in his book:"Warnings to the Churches"The following comments concern his friend C.H.S.

"I have often thought that one great secret of the marvellous honor which God has put on a man who is not in our communion(I allude to Mr.Spurgeon)--is,the extraordinary boldness and confidence with which he stands up in the pulpit to speak to people about their sins and their souls.It cannot be said he does it from fear of any,or to please any.He seems to give every class of hearers its portion,-- to the rich and the poor,the high and the low,the peer and the peasant,the learned and the illiterate.He gives to everyone plain dealing,according to God's Word.I believe that very boldness has much to do with the success which God is pleased to give to his ministry.Let us not be ashamed to learn a lesson from him in this respect.Let us go and do likewise."

Ignorance

by Thomas Brooks

"Ignorance is the mother of mistake, the cause of trouble, error, and of terror; it is the highway to hell, and it makes a man both a prisoner and a slave to the devil at once. Ignorance unmans a man; it makes a man a beast, yea, makes him more miserable than the beast that perisheth. There are none so easily nor so frequently taken in Satan's snares as ignorant souls. They are easily drawn to dance with the devil all day, and to dream of supping with Christ at night."

William Burns : Revival Sermons

Taken from : " Words of Warning " . It was delivered on Feb. 19 , 1844 .

" Beware of all doctrines which make you high-minded and puffed up , great talkers and expert reasoners , but which yet leave the soul as a dry and withered thing . Plain doctrines once satisfied you . I remember the time when they were your choicest portions in all the Word of God , but now I fear that salvation , heaven , hell , judgment , eternity , are not such weighty words as they used to be in your ears . Plain things have worn out of fashion ; you have got beyond them ; they are too simple and tasteless for you now . In those days the only thing that satisfied you was to hear simple truths , and plain sermons about regeneration , or man's lost and ruined condition , or , perhaps , even more about Immanuel's righteousness , or the new heart , and the work of grace , whereby all old things pass away . "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back