Seminary Curriculum

Status
Not open for further replies.

bconway52

Puritan Board Freshman
As I am preparing to enter seminary soon I've been pondering this question: what compromises a good seminary curriculum?

Let's hear your opinions...

Here are some of the options I am looking at:

RTS - Teaming their Virtual courses with their Atlanta courses (they should be offering the M.Div. soon!). I have heard from a few people that RTS's curriculum is "weak" and wouldn't prepare one adequately....

Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Christ Theological Seminary ( Christ Theological Seminary )

What do you think are the strengths/weaknesses of these schools?

I think its pretty irresponsible to assert (not that you are personally) that RTS has a weak curriculum.

For one thing, there are several self-standing campuses of RTS. And I don't know of anyone who thinks Jackson, the flagship, is a "weak" school, comparatively. The poor schools are usually mainline schools who have lost any mooring to the Bible, and anyplace with little concern for church history, and the Reformed faith.

Certainly, you need to do your homework, and find a good fit. That is the second most important thing.

What is the first? Remember: YOU will make the difference in what you get out of your education. The best professors, the best curriculum, the best library, the best environment, the best local church... all that means little or nothing if you do not determine to get all you can out of the experience.

A good education is one of the few things we're willing to pay for and not receive. Don't let that happen to you.

Remember, it's more important that you learn how to think in order to know what to think. Many seminaries teach you what to think and neglect teaching you how to think.

Languages are indispensable. Learn them as much as possible. Many seminaries only give a semester on each language, which basically only teaches students how to use resources rather than how to work with the languages. Deeper studies, in many instances, have given way to program oriented training.

Theology courses should expose you to what's out there and teach you how to think through doctrinal issues biblically. This will equip you to face the errant pew sitter and armchair theologian who ties things together that ought not be in the same paragraph. This is infinitely more valuable than simply having answers to questions. Ministry, as you know, is dynamic. We have to know how to think.

Counseling is a major part of our ministry. Take as much counseling as you can. I would avoid the integrated curriculum and seek nouthetic training (i.e. Jay Adams, Stuart Scott, NANC, etc.).

This is all focused on being equipped as a pastor. If you desire to pursue scholarly work you might consider other options focused in your field of interest. But, even then, we have to keep in mind that our goal is to affect the shepherd; and there's no better way to equip shepherds than to become one who intimately knows the rigors of shepherding.

The problem I am having is that through all my reading I am becoming more independent in my thinking, by that I mean that I don't line up so well with just one exact view of things. I can see, and learn, from the truly biblical points presented by a variety of authors.

Not a problem Erick. Consider the fact that each one of us is wrong somewhere. Listen humbly and stand on Scripture boldly. Read with discernment and yet with grace. Recognize that the more theology men learn the greater understanding they have that we are all just one thought away from heresy. As one grows to understand God and think His thoughts after Him one is better equipped to recognize heresy and avoid its allurements. And keep in mind that church ministry is paramount. Few heresies are born in churches; they're almost all born in the name of scholarly pursuits. The same understanding that helps one avoid the allure of heresy can be used to help others understand God better and grow in His grace. Strive to understand the mind of God and minister to the souls He entrusts to your care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back