Self defence vs. martyrdom and evangelism

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

Puritan Board Junior
I have been reading and hearing a lot lately about the effect physical suffering at the hands of others has on the spread of the gospel, i.e certain people beat on other people, the people beat on do nothing and as a result the beater becomes saved. I have to admit my first reaction to these stories is that, "I would never let anyone do that to me, I would definately defend myself!" I am begining to wonder if I have the right attitude.

How much abuse should we allow from other people? Should we be pacifists for the sake of the gospel? Should we allow ourselves and our family to become the objects of abuse in the hopes that the abuser will become saved? Is this really a way God uses to bring people to the truth?

Any thoughts?

It hasn't been too long ago that this has been touched on...unfortunately, I have never learned to utilize the search function.

With that said...:popcorn:.

In a nutshell....

If it's for your Christian faith...then, maybe allowing it is an option, but I'd say not mandatory.

If you're getting beaten for the sake of something other than your Christian faith, fight on!

For although, we can give the robber who beats us our money, what about the next guy, or lady.

So when you self-defend, you also protect others who may be victims of the criminal in the future...assuming of course you win and call the authorities.

{sigh} another pacifism thread is going to emerge.

Let me just state, from the outset, that strict pacificism is, in my view, wicked and some of the views expressed in the past on a Christian man's willingness to watch his family be terrorized while he can prevent it but his "faith" prevents him are sub-Christian notions. I'm not going to tolerate that sort of nonsense in this thread so posters be warned.

The 6th Commandment requires the protection of human life. Our "testimony" to others is not our willingness to stand in front of a freight train and have it run over us so people can believe upon Jesus. It is the Gospel that converts the hearts of men and not the demonstration of our fealty to it.

Paul didn't walk into towns thinking: "I hope I get stoned here so men will see how dedicated I am and believe the Gospel because of my willingness to be reproached." His trust was in the Gospel and he bore that message and was willing to suffer reproach that was inevitable without him going to look for it. We also see Paul, however, preventing harm to himself and others through the magistrate when the throngs demanded his head or that he be scourged. Again, there is no "testimony" to being beaten for Christ and the governing principle would be the protection of life taken by unjust means.

It's interesting how this thread is folding into the recent thread about Reformed mission work and concern for Evangelism. It occurs to me that many of our assumptions about mission work are borne out of revivalistic assumptions that something extraordinary is going to convert people. What makes the "conversion" headlines but the story of men who walk into a village to spread the Gospel and get killed for doing so and then the people see how devoted these men are so, over time, they are converted to Christ. Men don't like to hear about ordinary means and that it's not our lives that convert men but the ordinary preaching of the Gospel and that doesn't mean we need to arrange circumstances where we get martyred nor does it mean that we have to passively accept our own murder or the murder of others thinking it somehow spreads the Gospel.

For Christ's sake, we ought to be willing to die for our fealty to the Gospel but, before men, we do not owe them our lives by their wicked actions. We need to keep those two ideas separate.

Trevor is spot on.

If you cannot discern the attacker's intentions, or if they are not motivated specifically against the Christian faith - then you have the freedom to fight or flee. I'll add that In many cases, though, there is a responsibility to fight.

If you can discern the intentions of the attackers, and they are motivated specifically by hatred of Christianity, then fighting is no longer an option. There is liberty to flee, or to submit to it.

First of all, it was not my intention to start a pacifist thread I had just recently finished reading a book from a prominent author, who will remain nameless, who was speaking on the subject of missions and told many unbelievable stories of how people were won over to the gospel through the passivity of Christians. I knew this was not the type of person I was and so wanted to get opinions from others.

I have to admit the stories are good for business, so to speak, and help move listeners to want to act or give money and it is far more exciting than working hard and laboring day in and day out teaching without any dramatic conversions or stories.

Erick,

I didn't assume you would be the proponent of pacificism but there have been elements that have advocated it in the past and I weary of sub-Christian arguments for the position.

If you can discern the intentions of the attackers, and they are motivated specifically by hatred of Christianity, then fighting is no longer an option. There is liberty to flee, or to submit to it.

There is still the option of resistance. While I may allow my property to be taken, I will defend my family. If evil threatens my family I will oppose it by whatever means necessary. If my ability to resist is taken away, I must fall upon the grace and mercy of God.

There is still the option of resistance. While I may allow my property to be taken, I will defend my family. If evil threatens my family I will oppose it by whatever means necessary. If my ability to resist is taken away, I must fall upon the grace and mercy of God.

Perhaps I should note that in the vast, vast majority of cases I would file the attacker's intentions as "unknown" - and thus physical resistance is almost always in play.

The only time where I think a persecutor's intentions are so clearly known that they limit my potential ability to resist would be in a clearly stated case of persecution by an evil governmental authority. I cannot imagine, in any other case, the attacker clarifying the reason for his assault - only governments do this, as the bad ones are typically proud of it and love to hear their own justifications for it.

In the famous case of Jim Elliot for example, I do believe forceful (even lethal) resistance was justified, though not mandatory for himself. If his family were present when the spears started flying, it may even be mandatory. I certainly hope I would respond that way, in that case.

Last edited:
I know in most of the stories I have heard I would have shot the person to protect myself or my family and this would have supposedly hindered the conversion of the assailant.

I don't know if anyone remembers the story a few years back about the man who escaped from court and killed a few people and kidnapped a woman who was reading "Purpose Driven Life" she talked to him and helped him and this supposedly gave him a change of heart and he eventually turned himself in. This is an example of a person I would have not wasted a moment putting a bullet in, but I guess then he would not have gotten converted.

Yes, I remember that story. It was in Atlanta, or somewhere in the "south". I wonder if he is still in the faith? A true convert? I hope so because prisons need witnesses.

Yes, I remember that story. It was in Atlanta, or somewhere in the "south". I wonder if he is still in the faith? A true convert? I hope so because prisons need witnesses.
Happened at the Atlanta Courthouse. As I recall, the woman was also a meth addict, and was doing meth with the guy while being held hostage. I have no idea how the guy finally turned out, but I think the woman finally got off drugs.

I think the whole 'purpose driven' aspect was probably overblown, another one of those sensational conversions we are attracted to. But down the street there was possibly a faithful shepherd expounding the scriptures to some non-descript sinner who was through those means truly redeemed out of death and sin, and they never ended up on the nightly news. If there was rejoicing in heaven that day, it was more over the second case than the first.

As a personal figure one has not only the right but the duty to defend one's self and vigorously fight evil - with the fists or whatever other weapons available - if needed.

I am far from pacificistic. The most God-honoring thing to do in some situations is to kill the enemy.

There are times, however, when one is a public personage in the role of ministry.

In these cases it appears that one cannot be condemned for not fighting back.

When the Jews began to stone Stephen he could have ran away from them, ran at them, threw rocks back, etc, but instead he continued his ministry and ended his life by praying for the attackers. The same for many of the martyrs in the arena. Are you willing to condemn these examples? IF we are duty-bound to resist, then we are duty-bound to resist to the absolute end.

If anyone has a problem with this sort of "pacificism", then they need to prove that Stephen was wrong and that the martyrs who passively went to their death in the arena ended their lives in sin.

As a personal figure one has not only the right but the duty to defend one's self and vigorously fight evil - with the fists or whatever other weapons available - if needed.

I am far from pacificistic. The most God-honoring thing to do in some situations is to kill the enemy.

There are times, however, when one is a public personage in the role of ministry.

When the Jews began to stone Stephen he could have ran away from them, ran at them, threw rocks back, etc, but instead he continued his ministry and ended his life by praying for the attackers. The same for many of the martyrs in the arena. Are you willing to condemn these examples? IF we are duty-bound to resist, then we are duty-bound to resist to the absolute end.

If anyone has a problem with this sort of "pacificism", then they need to prove that Stephen was wrong and that the martyrs who passively went to their death in the arena ended their lives in sin.

Pergamum,

What, in the text, makes you believe he had this option? It's important to remember that Stephen's "testimony" was his preaching of the Word, which resulted in his stoning. His stoning (and subsequent prayer) were a consequence of it but you seem to indicate, by your plea, that he stuck around to be stoned simply so he could utter that prayer in his murder. Are you indicating that Stephen willingly allowed men to be guilty of murder so he could pray for them (ends justify the means).

The text, rather, indicates that the men rushed at him and stoned him. There may have been a certain reservation that there was little he could do at that point or things happened too quickly. I don't want to speculate but neither must I speculate, on Scriptural silence, that Stephen was obligated to allow others to be guilty of murder at that point for a higher purpose.

There are no Scriptures that I'm aware of that use the logic that a person has a "public persona" that would change the equation about whether they ought to allow themselves to be killed as a "testimony" to others. Again, I don't believe our "testimony" is our willingness to be stoned and there is explicit contrary evidence in the actions of Paul when circumstances permitted him to avoid evil treatment at the hands of his malefactors. It's one thing to be in the middle of a mob and another when the magistrate has drug you off and you have a chance to speak for yourself.

Obviously, in situations where certain death awaits (i.e. in the middle of a mob bent on your death), it would be best to demonstrate hope and die in a dignified manner rather than trying to take a few people with you on the way out. When it's a hundred against one then you're not going to save your life by trying to escape and I think the best option would be to pray as Stephen did.

I'll close with a note that there are several ocassions where a mob is about to try to kill Jesus. On one occasion they attempt to run Him over a cliff but the text indicates in each case that He passed through the crowd. I'm never certain how this happens exactly but the bottom line is that, if escaping a martyr's death is inherently bad, then Christ's refusal to be murdered before His time would be considered bad on a certain level even if one argues that it was not yet His time.

What, in the text, makes you believe he had this option? It's important to remember that Stephen's "testimony" was his preaching of the Word, which resulted in his stoning. His stoning (and subsequent prayer) were a consequence of it but you seem to indicate, by your plea, that he stuck around to be stoned simply so he could utter that prayer in his murder.

In addition, one thinks of the case of Paul being let out of Damascus in a basket to avoid the Jews who wanted to kill him.

p8280251.jpg

What, in the text, makes you believe he had this option? It's important to remember that Stephen's "testimony" was his preaching of the Word, which resulted in his stoning. His stoning (and subsequent prayer) were a consequence of it but you seem to indicate, by your plea, that he stuck around to be stoned simply so he could utter that prayer in his murder.

In addition, one thinks of the case of Paul being let out of Damascus in a basket to avoid the Jews who wanted to kill him.

p8280251.jpg

Good point. I was also thinking of Elijah and other prophets who did not turn themselves in to be killed by wicked men. They didn't avoid prophesying but they didn't walk into "opportunities" to be martyred.

Again, I think we need to step back and question a few assumptions that we might have grown up with (I know I did). Is martyrdom preferred to the preached Word for the conversion of souls? I think we're all conditioned to believe that zeal will attract/convert a man's heart but it's the Gospel that does that. I can grant that our zeal and confidence may impress others but lest they hear the news of what Christ has done (and not what we have done) they will not be converted.

I'm certain the zeal of a Muslim to die in the hope of paradise impresses some but do any of us ever feel a burning in the bosom for Allah when we read of yet another person willing to go to their death by a bomb vest?

Consider this in the case of Elijah - there might be people that consider him cowardly for hiding from Ahab for years. I suppose he could have died at the hands of Ahab immediately after stopping the rain. But what about the widow and the widow's son? What about the Word of God that he testified to for those years? What about everything he did that suceeded his "opportunity" to be martyred?

Let us not fear those that can take our lives for the Gospel but let us not mistake that our deaths somehow do more for the hearts of men than the God-breathed Word of God.

I'm certain the zeal of a Muslim to die in the hope of paradise impresses some but do any of us ever feel a burning in the bosom for Allah when we read of yet another person willing to go to their death by a bomb vest?

Yes, some Christians do. A book dealing in-depth with all the suicide bombings over the last 20 years showed some interesting facts. Like it was started by secular Marxist Hindus in Sri Lanka, that most Muslims that have done it are motivated by politics more than religion and several Christians in Lebanon have done it. A basic course in Christian ethics were they would learn that the ends don't justify the means might have helped, but with suicide bombers it's usually more a question of hating their enemies rather than loving their God.

These are all good points. In the book I read the author made the claim that our suffering is a way of spreading the gospel and helps complete Christs suffering and told of many examples of people who gave themselves up to be martyred or beaten for the sake of the gospel and as a result people were converted.

In the book of Revelation the martyrs in heaven can't wait to have revenge taken out on the people who killed them and are pleading with God to bring it quickly. I don't imagine the people who were killed in the first century would have chosen to be killed but would rather have lived a full life but they had no choice. Paul mentions in 1 Corinthians 13: 3 that if one gives up his body to be burned but has not love he has nothing.

There were Jehovah's Witnesses in Nazi Germany who were gladly giving their lives up "for the sake of God," and the Nazi's were glad to oblige them. I am sure it can become en vogue to have oneself martyred but this does not save the person and it does not necessarily convert anyone. There could be just as many people who say, "Look at that idiot!"

Yes, some Christians do. A book dealing in-depth with all the suicide bombings over the last 20 years showed some interesting facts. Like it was started by secular Marxist Hindus in Sri Lanka, that most Muslims that have done it are motivated by politics more than religion and several Christians in Lebanon have done it. A basic course in Christian ethics were they would learn that the ends don't justify the means might have helped, but with suicide bombers it's usually more a question of hating their enemies rather than loving their God.

Yes, I understand this but the point of why Muslims are motivated is sort of beyond the larger point. The main point is that every religion can have people that are willing to express great zeal for their faith.

What I try to direct people's attention to when I teach them about "witnessing" is that our zeal or enthusiasm for Christ is not our witness. The hope that we have within is objective. The Muslim may be motivated by many desires and he may even impress others with his zeal but there is no substance to their faith. It's equivalent to being zealous for the tooth fairy in the final analysis.

In contrast, our hope is grounded in a living God and while we might have zeal for Him on the basis of what He has done our aim is not to try to impress others with our zeal but to point people in the direction of what we are hopeful for: Christ and Him crucified for the forgiveness of sins. Our zeal, in one sense, is indistinguishable from the Mormon or Muslim but Who we're testifying of and the message we have in the Gospel is the power of God for salvation. THAT is unique and cannot be ignored.

Thus, although Stephen and other heroes of the faith are great examples of those that did not consider this life worth anything to be compared to their inheritance in Christ, it was not their martyrdom that is the object of worship nor does it convert the heart. Those that stop at stories of martyrdom and do not hear the Gospel may have good heroes to emulate in zeal but they are still dead in sins and trespasses unless they cling to the object of faith that these men and women of old believed upon.

These are all good points. In the book I read the author made the claim that our suffering is a way of spreading the gospel and helps complete Christs suffering and told of many examples of people who gave themselves up to be martyred or beaten for the sake of the gospel and as a result people were converted.

:eek:

I rest my case. Christ's suffering is complete in itself. Our suffering adds nothing to Christ's work.

{sigh} another pacifism thread is going to emerge.

Let me just state, from the outset, that strict pacificism is, in my view, wicked and some of the views expressed in the past on a Christian man's willingness to watch his family be terrorized while he can prevent it but his "faith" prevents him are sub-Christian notions.

Amen.

You better believe that I am more than willing to fight tooth and nail to protect my family. Personally, I believe that a man's willingness to watch his family be terrorized is not being faithful to his vocation as a husband and father and is the worse form of cowardice.

Pergamum,

What, in the text, makes you believe he had this option? .

One always has the option to resist. He had enough time and energy to pray and I am sure he could see the crowd getting angry. The crowd gve enough time in shedding their coats and giving them to Paul in order for Stephen to do SOMETHING.

But what the text mentions is Stephen's prayer and not any resistance on his part.

Pergamum,

What, in the text, makes you believe he had this option? It's important to remember that Stephen's "testimony" was his preaching of the Word, which resulted in his stoning. His stoning (and subsequent prayer) were a consequence of it but you seem to indicate, by your plea, that he stuck around to be stoned simply so he could utter that prayer in his murder. Are you indicating that Stephen willingly allowed men to be guilty of murder so he could pray for them (ends justify the means).

The text, rather, indicates that the men rushed at him and stoned him. There may have been a certain reservation that there was little he could do at that point or things happened too quickly. I don't want to speculate but neither must I speculate, on Scriptural silence, that Stephen was obligated to allow others to be guilty of murder at that point for a higher purpose.

There are no Scriptures that I'm aware of that use the logic that a person has a "public persona" that would change the equation about whether they ought to allow themselves to be killed as a "testimony" to others. Again, I don't believe our "testimony" is our willingness to be stoned and there is explicit contrary evidence in the actions of Paul when circumstances permitted him to avoid evil treatment at the hands of his malefactors. It's one thing to be in the middle of a mob and another when the magistrate has drug you off and you have a chance to speak for yourself.

Obviously, in situations where certain death awaits (i.e. in the middle of a mob bent on your death), it would be best to demonstrate hope and die in a dignified manner rather than trying to take a few people with you on the way out. When it's a hundred against one then you're not going to save your life by trying to escape and I think the best option would be to pray as Stephen did.

I'll close with a note that there are several ocassions where a mob is about to try to kill Jesus. On one occasion they attempt to run Him over a cliff but the text indicates in each case that He passed through the crowd. I'm never certain how this happens exactly but the bottom line is that, if escaping a martyr's death is inherently bad, then Christ's refusal to be murdered before His time would be considered bad on a certain level even if one argues that it was not yet His time.

Rich:

You sound like you affirm much of the same things I affirm.

----We are not duty-bound to resist always.
----But we are to be good stewards of our lives so that we may preach again.
----We are not wrong to resist in most cases,
----But we may lay aside that right in some cases

p8280251.jpg

If it is our duty to ALWAYS resist or try to preserve our lives, then we MUST resist, even if we are facing a losing battle.

It is always "an option" to resist - even if the odds are against us. We can die resisting, but at least we die resisting. To say "It is not an option." Is to say that we are making decisions based upon results rather than duties.

Stephen gave quite a LONG sermon and I am sure that he could see the crowd becoming angry.

At what point does one turn tail and run? Is Stephen's judgment now impugned because he stuck around too long? He should have read the crowd better? He should have only made them a little bit mad and then slipped away? Was he dumb even to endanger himself by speaking publically in a hostile place anyway?

If we are always to resist or flee then we are to resist or try to flee even when it seems like there is no escape. The martyrs in the coliseum went to their deaths passively.

This is sin if we are always to resist or flee, or die trying. One is obligated to try to run at the enemy, flee from them, try to choke the lion, try to kill the ones stoning you....but Stephen turns his eyes to heaven and prays. The martyrs sing hymns while lions devour them.

I am not a pacifist. We are to be good stewards of our lives.

My assertion again is two-fold:

(1) I do not see evidence that we are required to be pacifists.
(2) But neither do I see evidence that in all occasions are we required to resist or fight.

And again I try to draw a difference between our roles as private citizens and our public roles as Christian witnesses. We are allowed to personally defend ourselves. We are allowed to flee. If being publically persecuted for the Gospel, however, the jury is still out what the best course of action is to do. One is allowed to be a non-resistant martyr and pray only - at lest it seems so from the NT.

p8280251.jpg

Remember that Paul was also beaten half silly and dragged out of a different city, and then went back into the same city.

Are we to condemn him for that?

Last edited:
Act 7:54-60 Now when they heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth at him. (55) But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. (56) And he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." Nothing yet to indicate Stephen knew they were plotting to kill him.(57) But they cried out with a loud voice and stopped their ears and rushed together at him. (58) Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. Now he is rushed, seized and carried out by a mob and stoned. Nothing here says he did or didn't try to resist, just that he was overpowered and stoned. (59) And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." (60) And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." And when he had said this, he fell asleep.So as he's dying, he cries out a prayer for his attackers, still no evidence that he did or did not resist, only that as he was being murdered, he prayed.
My comments in blue. Are we possibly making inferences about this event that the scripture does not explicitly support?

Acts 14:

19And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.

20Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.

It is amazing how many times the disciples of Christ were dragged before magistrates, confronted by angry crowds and beaten. Once this occurs, I never read of them resisting physically.

Paul was beaten how many times? All of the disciples were killed except John. Obviously personal safety was only one of many factors that relegated their behavior and they were not obligated to always choose the safest courses of action,

:eek:

I rest my case. Christ's suffering is complete in itself. Our suffering adds nothing to Christ's work.

Aversion to suffering for the Gospel, however, reveals what we really believe about the Gospel.

The Bible gives us these responses for when we suffer persecution for the Gospel:

Thanks given to God and rejoicing done - James 1:2-5 and 1 Peter 4:13

Love your enemies, pray for them, and bless them -Matthew 5:44.

I Peter 2:

19For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.

20For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

21For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

22Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

23Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

24Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

God's Undeserved Gift to the World: Christian Sufferers :: Desiring God Christian Resource Library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back