Seeking studies or books on death and dying; and a prayer request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. B-N

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello friends, one of my dearest friends will be passing to heaven any day. After a lifetime of battling Lyme disease she has succumbed to cancer. She loves our Lord and has been such a testimony through all her suffering. Please pray for a peaceful passing for her. Her name is Rebekah. Please pray for Robert. He is losing his wife at a very young age. He has been her caretaker, watched her go through several miscarriages, helped her battle Lyme and now this. I believe he is exhausted spiritually and emotionally. Because her cancer diagnoses followed 4 years in Belgium (he's in the AF) and then moving bases twice due to her illness, they do not have an established church family praying for them. They do not have Christian family. So the prayers of brothers and sisters like you are so very vital and appreciated.

For myself, I would greatly appreciate any books or studies you can recommend on the topic of death in the Bible. I would like to study it systematically. I appreciate the recommendations and prayers.

Sister*, I am pained to hear about your friend losing his wife at a young age. I couldn't; imagine.

I leave you with Paul's words and a couple of books:

We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, concerning those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve like the rest, who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, in the same way, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep

Christian Standard Bible. Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers, 2020. Print.

Books:
Start here: Edward Pearse - The Great Concern

Joel Beeke - Death and Dying

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your kind words and for the resources. They look like exactly what I'm looking for.
- Jennifer

I read Richard Baxter's "Dying Thoughts" and it was impacting. It was his own thoughts as he was going through death.

Also C.S. Lewis' "A Grief Observed" might be a good read for him.

I am so sorry to hear about the situation.

She went to be with the Lord tonight. Thank you for your prayers for her husband Robert and for these book recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back