Seeking Short Intro to Reformed Christianity for a Layman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmenas

Puritan Board Freshman
I am seeking an introduction to Reformed Christianity (specifically Presbyterianism) for an immediate family member (I will not disclose further details for the sake of privacy). The family member is, put bluntly, a know-nothing when it comes to theology.

It needs to be brief, explicit, and written in plain English. I am not looking for a book, but rather an article or tract-like work. It needs to answer the question, "What is Reformed Christianity?"

I thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Edit: I would also appreciate if anyone could direct me to tracts on the Regulative Principle of Worship, written from the historic Reformed position (e.g. exclusive psalmody).

Last edited:
I can't help but think of a book titled with your same question: "What Is Reformed Theology?" by R.C. Sproul

It goes through the basic ideas of the doctrines of grace, covenant theology, and the importance of confessions. I think it would be good for someone who is already a Christian but is not acquainted with Reformed theology in particular. It also has the benefit of not focusing just on one particular issue of Reformed theology. If I recall, it does not necessarily make a defense of specifically Presbyterian distinctives, however.

It needs to be brief, explicit, and written in plain English. I am not looking for a book, but rather an article or tract-like work. It needs to answer the question, "What is Reformed Christianity?"
This is informative:

Attachments

• Reformed - Meaning Pratt.pdf
    115.9 KB · Views: 11
I can't help but think of a book titled with your same question: "What Is Reformed Theology?" by R.C. Sproul

It goes through the basic ideas of the doctrines of grace, covenant theology, and the importance of confessions. I think it would be good for someone who is already a Christian but is not acquainted with Reformed theology in particular. It also has the benefit of not focusing just on one particular issue of Reformed theology. If I recall, it does not necessarily make a defense of specifically Presbyterian distinctives, however.

I have heard of this book before, but thank you for mentioning it. I was worried that said family member would not be willing to read a whole book on the subject, but this may not be the case. I will certainly consider it, now that you have directly recommended it.

Edit: Does this book cover the RPW?

I have heard of this book before, but thank you for mentioning it. I was worried that said family member would not be willing to read a whole book on the subject, but this may not be the case. I will certainly consider it, now that you have directly recommended it.

I realize it might be too long for this person, but it is a relatively quick read. Maybe a good idea would be to check it out for yourself -- even if not for this person, it could be useful at some point. That said, it does not cover the RPW as far as I can remember.

A tract also has come to mind, but I think Sproul's book might be better as an absolute introduction.

The tract is "A Brief and Untechnical Statement of the Reformed Faith" by B.B. Warfield
http://www.reformed.org/calvinism/warfield_reformed_theology.html

Ken Golden's little book entitled "Presbytopia" is really good, as is Danny Hyde's book "Welcome to a Reformed Church," though the latter is more Reformed than Presbyterian, there is considerable overlap, of course. Ken Golden is an OPC pastor in my presbytery.

How about the book Knowing God by Dr Packer?

Although not a Presbyterian, I recommend this article by Malcolm Watts that you can read here entitled "What is a Reformed Church?" :

Also here you will find some good articles written on the regulative principle of worship and exclusive psalmody.

I hope these help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back