Seeking input re: Baxter's Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
Hello PB brethren,

I have a digital copy of Baxter's Christian Directory on a Puritan Hard Drive (thanks to a surprise from a deacon). I've been having some trouble reading on a screen for very long periods so I'm looking at print editions of several key books I've been working through.

That being said, I came across this edition of Baxter: Practical Works of Richard Baxter | Thriftbooks Used Books. Is this volume worth purchasing? Or is there a "standard" edition which you'd recommend instead? (If so, would you mind providing me a link to it?)

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about any "standard version," but the original is very useful. I'm glad to have it.

Soli Deo Gloria printed a beautiful set of Richard Baxter's Practical Works in 3 large volumes and a 4th volume being A Christian Directory. I lucked into a used set at a reasonable price on ebay a couple of years ago. Here is what ABE Books shows as available currently. Richard Baxter - Soli Deo Gloria - AbeBooks

I am grateful to each of you for your time and assistance.

Just to clarify, then, this particular work to which I linked would likely be of little aid? In other words, would it be better to purchase this "scanned" copy, or do you think one of the links you provided would be of better service in pastoral ministry?

I am an old man and prefer a hard copy. I like to hold a book in my hands and savor the experience along with the text. This book, my copy, is 904 pages. If a hard copy is not your preferred option the digital might serve just as well.

I'm an eternal youth in a 71-year-old body, and I think the hard copy would serve better for study and looking up / searching for particular topics. Blurb on the front cover by Tim Keller reads, “...the greatest manual on biblical counseling ever produced...”

I found a modern copy of Baxter's Christian Directory at a Ligonier Conference a couple years ago and I didn't purchase it at that time. Now I wish I had. I can't find a print copy of it anywhere. Some publisher republished it, but I don't know which one.

Reformation Heritage was the last to reprint it, I believe. Try finding it at heritagebooks.org.

It's the Soli Deo Gloria edition with a different cover. All of them are reprints of the 1836 edition.

Reformation Heritage was the last to reprint it, I believe. Try finding it at heritagebooks.org.

It's the Soli Deo Gloria edition with a different cover. All of them are reprints of the 1836 edition.

I found it, thanks. It wasn't what I was expecting. The cover seems to be what I remember it to be, but it was an abridged version.

Can anyone who owns this abridgment attest to it's value compared to the original?

Baxter can be wordy at times. Maybe the abridgment is a little easier to read.

If it's around 1000 pages, it's not an abridgement, at least not of the 1836 edition. If the copy you have is on the Puritan hard drive, it's very likely a PDF of the 17th century edition, which will be harder to read than the typeset 1836 edition.

However, when I went to heritagebooks.org and did a search, it brought up "The Practical Works of Richard Baxter: Selected Treatises." That is NOT the Soli Deo Gloria edition of Baxter's "Christian Directory."

It could be that Reformation Heritage has let Baxter's complete "Directory" go out of print for the time being.

I found it, thanks. It wasn't what I was expecting. The cover seems to be what I remember it to be, but it was an abridged version.

Can anyone who owns this abridgment attest to it's value compared to the original?

Baxter can be wordy at times. Maybe the abridgment is a little easier to read.[/QUOTE]

Baxter can be wordy at times. Maybe the abridgment is a little easier to read.

I have read elsewhere that the abridgment is very helpful.

Forgive me for being dense -- but I just looked at heritagebooks.org and didn't find it. May I trouble you for a link?

I believe this is the book to which they are referring: The Practical Works of Richard Baxter: Selected Treatises - Reformation Heritage Books.

However, this is most definitely NOT the Christian Directory. It is actually a compilation of Baxter's most well-known treatises outside of the Christian Directory such as: The Saints’ Everlasting Rest, The Divine Life, A Treatise of Conversion, A Call to the Unconverted, Now or Never, Directions and Persuasions to a Sound Conversion, Directions for Weak Distempered Christians, The Character of a Sound, Confirmed Christian, The Mischiefs of Self-Ignorance and the Benefits of Self-Acquaintance, & Dying Thoughts. Most of these writings can be found in other books or online at various locations.

The Directory is an even more practical dictionary (if you will) of nearly all aspects of life and how a
Christian is to conduct themselves in those situations. I have both books and while they both complement each other nicely, I would pick the Christian Directory (not the book referenced in the above link) if forced to choose only one Baxter book, though both books have values in one's library. I am pretty certain the Christian Directory from SDG is sadly out of print.

One of my fondest wishes would be for the entire Practical Writings of Richard Baxter (which include the Christian Directory) return in print. Logos has all of them available in 23 volumes (the way they were typically divided up) but the cost of all them is pretty steep.

The ISBN for the Christian DIrectory is 9781877611131. I wish you success in your search for the Christian Directory. Should you find it, you will be blessed by its content.

Addendum to the post: There is a slight abridgment of the Christian Directory entitled, "The Godly Home", http://www.heritagebooks.org/products/The-Godly-Home-%28Introduction-by-J.-I.-Packer%29.html

This contains only the sections from the Christian Directory related to family life, marriage, family worship, etc. and none of the Ecclesial sections from the Christian Directory. I would think the family-related sections would be of the most value to us.

If you're interested in obtaining a printed copy, there are several for sale at bookfinder.com. Some of them are paperback and some are hardback. One publisher seems to do a paperback print on demand. But you'll find copies at this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back