Searching for RL Dabney Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Can anyone help me?

I remember a quote from one of the works of RL Dabney (but exactly where I can't lay my finger on), so I loosely (very loosely) paraphrase what follows. It would be in either his Discussions or his Systematic Theology because they were the only works of his I had at the time.

"Through many years of ministry, it has been my consistent experience that when any man is converted to Christ as an adult, it was discovered that they were raised in a Christian home. I am sure that an exception to this is possible, for all things are possible with God. But in my experience, there were no exceptions."​
Thanks,

Ed

Is there any word or group of words here you are sure appear in the original quote? I’ve searched for several phrases and have turned up nothing. Since you’ve given a loose paraphrase, it would be very difficult, aside from bare memory, to locate the corresponding quote. Even just one word would be helpful.

The best suited work for this kind of quote would seem to me to be “Parental Responsibilities.”

Is there any word or group of words here you are sure appear in the original quote? I’ve searched for several phrases and have turned up nothing. Since you’ve given a loose paraphrase, it would be very difficult, aside from bare memory, to locate the corresponding quote. Even just one word would be helpful.

Hi Taylor,

I should have made it clear in the OP that I am not expecting anyone to do my job for me. I have the 11 works of Dabney that Logos caries and am quite capable of doing the hard work myself. I probably only spent about 45 minutes so far and turned up nothing. I was just hoping it was familiar with someone on the PB to save me the time to find it. As far as the actual words, I can't remember any of them. I read this over 30 years ago.

Thanks, Taylor, but I'll take it from here.

Thanks,

Ed

Anything and more is possible than in this partial list of alternative words and phrases.
many years of ministry —> experience, minister, etc.​
consistent —> uniform, invariable, etc.​
man —> individual, aged. person, etc.​
converted —> saved​
raised —> reared, nurtured, etc.​
Christian —> religious, God-fearing, etc.​
home —> household, family, etc.​
I am sure that an exception to this is possible, for all things are possible with God. —> might be apocryphal (my wishful thinking)​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back