Scripture Reference for How Often We should Tithe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzlor

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anyone know a scripture reference about how often we should tithe? I heard in a sermon about a scripture that says we should tithe every time we come to worship God as an act of worship.

Do any one know this scripture?

1 Corinthians 16

1Now concerning[a](A) the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. 2On(B) the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up,(C) as he may prosper,(D) so that there will be no collecting when I come.

As I understand it, the Old Testament tithe system (e.g. Levitical Law) was very specific but that was civil law given to Israel and as the Westminster Confession says, "which expired together with the State of that people; not obliging under any now, further than the general equity thereof may require."

There are equitable principles in tithing (e.g. giving as a testimony to God's ownership of everything you own, giving first fruits, giving regularly, etc.)

This was an example of collecting on the Lord's Day but not a "law."

1 Corinthians 16

1Now concerning[a](A) the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. 2On(B) the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up,(C) as he may prosper,(D) so that there will be no collecting when I come.

As I understand it, the Old Testament tithe system (e.g. Levitical Law) was very specific but that was civil law given to Israel and as the Westminster Confession says, "expired with the nation and is not binding on any other except as the general equity requires."

This was an example of collecting on the Lord's Day but not a "law."

And boy do folks grouse about that 'general equity'...

Theognome

Prov 3:9
Honor the Lord with your wealth
and with the firstfruits of all your produce;

To apply this to a culture where we get a paycheck rather than a harvest, we would give the first part of our pay to God, and therefore give whenever we get our paychecks...though it wouldn't be collected until Sunday service.

Deut 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

Deut 14:28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

These passages would support tithing whenever the Lord blesses you with an increase. Funny story: A church lady who did not understand what an 'increase' was, said she would be glad to tithe if her employer ever gave her a raise. :lol:

Thanks for the replies.

Are there any verses that tie giving to worship on a weekly basis?

Thanks for the replies.

Are there any verses that tie giving to worship on a weekly basis?

1 Cor 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

This is a very good question. My husband gets paid twice a month. When he's paid he writes one check. This gives the church the benefit of the interest on the whole amount until the next paycheck. It would seem poor stewardship to me to only give 1/2 to be able to write a check the next week too. Am I seeing this wrong?

This is a very good question. My husband gets paid twice a month. When he's paid he writes one check. This gives the church the benefit of the interest on the whole amount until the next paycheck. It would seem poor stewardship to me to only give 1/2 to be able to write a check the next week too. Am I seeing this wrong?

Technically, you are tithing upon your increase each week. Its just that every other week you don't have an increase and therefore do not have a tithe to give.

Should we have an offering to bring to God each week as we worship Him?

The tither sees a distinction between 'tithes' and 'offerings'. Tithes are to be brought without delay whenever there is an increase. If one is not blessed with an increase each and every week, he will not be tithing each week.

Offerings are a different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back