Scriptural argument against flags in worship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic -but in one church I visited in the midwest (I think it was Iowa, but I wouldn't swear to it) there was actually a Dutch flag!

I asked my FIL (he is Dutch from NW Iowa) and his first words were "Netherlands Reformed?" They have their sermons in Dutch and are "very Calvinist" in his words. :lol:

Hmmm... Well, the sermon was most definitely in English! It was a church that had some sort of Dutch connection (obviously). I want to say CRC, but that's not it. I think it was more conservative than the CRC. I was visiting a friend at Dordt College and went to church with her.

Hmmm! URC maybe? Or PRC? I don't know if NR churches still do everything in Dutch or not (anyone?)

This is SO AMERICAN!!!!

Here a current photo of the Queen is a fixture in 90%+ of protestant churches. (What you think the POPE is the head of the church...)

However after 17 years in the south I am sensitive to this issue.

The church does have a legitimate role in the social, political, and cultural life of the nation. So National symbols are (sometimes) appropriat. Often they are not.

If you were in a christian church in the 30's in Germany would the current national flag have been "appropriat"?

:worms:

A flag is a symbol of sovereignty. Ask yourself, "Why would it ever be appropriate to declare praise of a lesser authority in a setting presumably devoted to "another king, one Jesus" (Acts 17:7)?

Is.48:11, "My glory I will not share with another."

Is.49:23. "Kings shall be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. With their faces to the ground they shall bow down to you, and lick the dust of your feet. Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame."

Is.40:17, "All nations before him are as nothing; and they are counted to him less than nothing, and vanity."

Secular patriotism has no place in the public worship of God.

Amen brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back