Scottish History/ Theology Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkterry

Puritan Board Freshman
I would like some recommendations for reading material related to Scottish theology and history. I would prefer something on a general introductory/ compendium level that may lead to other materials. My main interest would be the Covenanters and writings of prominent figures from the 1600s to 1800s.

I have:
John Knox, Reformation in Scotland
the now out of print Dictionary of Scottish Theology.
Life in a Risen Savior by Candlish

Any thoughts on these books:
A Scottish Christian Heritage by Murray, Iain

Precious Seed: Discourses by Scottish Worthies

Thanks for the suggestions!

If you're into audio and do a little digging you'll find a treasure of information in Joe Morecraft's series on the Scottish Reformation.

Thomas McCrie's Story of the Scottish Church

Informative and inspiring, often bringing tears to my eyes and inspiring prayer.

Published by the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland. Try the Free Presbyterian Bookshop, Glasgow. They're very helpful.

https://www.fpbookroom.org/acatalog/

Check out their other offerings.

Iain Murray

I was disappointed in Iain Murray's book and would stick with some of the more classic works suggested here.

For what it's worth, I wasn't disappointed in it at all. I've never yet been disappointed by his writing (unless you count the recent "The Undercover Revolution" which was tantalizing because such a brief sketch)

There's Samuel Rutherford's Letters. Both Richard Baxter and Spugeon ranked them second only to the Bible.
Also "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie, ("one of the holiest and ablest of the experimental divines of Scotland" born in Angus in 1620)

You could always look at the catalogue of publications by Murray's Scottish-based Banner of Truth.

This one looks very nice:

SGCB | THE HISTORY OF THE SUFFERINGS OF THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND: From the Restoration to the Revolution

_thumb.asp

I was disappointed in Iain Murray's book and would stick with some of the more classic works suggested here.

For what it's worth, I wasn't disappointed in it at all. I've never yet been disappointed by his writing (unless you count the recent "The Undercover Revolution" which was tantalizing because such a brief sketch)

There's Samuel Rutherford's Letters. Both Richard Baxter and Spugeon ranked them second only to the Bible.
Also "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie, ("one of the holiest and ablest of the experimental divines of Scotland" born in Angus in 1620)

You could always look at the catalogue of publications by Murray's Scottish-based Banner of Truth.

Here is my previous post with a link to a very good review of the book http://www.puritanboard.com/232140-post3.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back