SBC not SBC/Yahoo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

historyb

Puritan Board Junior
Hi,

As in my signature line I am looking for a Church home ever since coming out of that great harlot romanism. I have a friend and he invited me too the Southern Baptist Church in my town.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on it are. I went there and found it nice, had a great sermon but not expository (sp) type.

Here's the name:

First Southern Baptist Church, not very descriptive. :). I am not sure if it's a founders or not. They are on the SBC.net if that helps at all. I can see some conflict as I think they are dispie and I am not.

[Edited on 2-7-2006 by historyb]

The SBC is very hit and miss. It has only broad denominational doctrinal standards (which cannot be enforced on individual churches), no perscription of what practice looks like, and little denominational accountability.

If you hit, more power to you.

BTW, it is not a Founders church.

Also BTW, I have listened to a few sermons by First Baptist Church in San Jacinto, and from what I remember, they sounded pretty solid. I considered visiting them last time I was in Palm Springs, but never did.

There are a lot of SBC churches that are Calvinistic yet are not listed on the Founders site, for whatever reason. I've found this to be particularly true with older pastors who wrote off the convention in the 60's or 70's but who haven't felt the need to unaffiliate. But I know of some younger pastors who are not listed either.

Also, some of the churches listed have a Calvinistic pastor but congregations that are not.

I have recently learned of a SBC church in my area where the pastor is expository and Calvinistic, something sorely needed.

Although I'm a Southern Baptist, I'd advise you to find a Calvinistic church regardless of the denomination. If you are Reformed you aren't going to be happy in a most Southern Baptist churches...just my opinion.

There are a lot of good folk in our churches, but I'd say for the most part they are theologically ignorant. It's not their fault. What is needed is the exposition of the Word in our churches. Unfortunatley, that happens quite infrequently.

It's true that many Southern Baptist churches that are Calvinistic aren't affliated with the Founders (a great organization by the way). I have a pastor friend who is a Southern Baptist and is a pastor of a Southern Baptist Church, a frequent speaker at Founders functions, writes books for Evangelical Press, is an expositor of the Word, and makes no bones about letting his congregation know that he is Calvinistic and still he nor his church are listed as Founders members.

There are diamonds out there, but they are hard to find.

[Edited on 2-8-2006 by Ivan]

Originally posted by Ivan
Although I'm a Southern Baptist, I'd advise you to find a Calvinistic church regardless of the denomination. If you are Reformed you aren't going to be happy in a most Southern Baptist churches...just my opinion.

There are a lot of good folk in our churches, but I'd say for the most part they are theologically ignorant. It's not their fault. What is needed is the exposition of the Word in our churches. Unfortunatley, that happens quite infrequently.

It's true that many Southern Baptist churches that are Calvinistic aren't affliated with the Founders (a great organization by the way). I have a pastor friend who is a Southern Baptist and is a pastor of a Southern Baptist Church, a frequent speaker at Founders functions, writes books for Evangelical Press, is an expositor of the Word, and makes no bones about letting his congregation know that he is Calvinistic and still he nor his church are listed as Founders members.

There are diamonds out there, but they are hard to find.

[Edited on 2-8-2006 by Ivan]

Founders can even be dispensational calvinists.

Find a good Reformed Baptist Church that holds to Covenant Theology.
At least one that holds to the 1689 Confession. Some SBC's hold to the 1689.

How far away is Riverside from your home?

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by puritancovenanter]

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Founders can even be dispensational calvinists.

I'm sure, but my social circle is very small. I personally know of none. The ones I know are all Amil.

Doug,

If you live in Hemet there are at least two Reformed Churches in your area.

First is Providence OPC in Temecula. See http://www.temeculaopc.org. It is my home church.

Second is apparently a new Presbyterian Church in Murrieta. I was surprised to read that Eric Larson was a Pastor of a Presbyterian Church in Murrieta in the last issue of Modern Reformation magazine. You can contact him to figure out where they are meeting.

I have a home in Murrieta and attended Providence for a number of years. The Church has outstanding preaching and the fellowship is unmatched.

Riverside is a bit of a drive from Hemet.

Thank you all. I'm not sure how far Riverside is from here. I use my wheelchair/cart to get around to Church etc. So the more Local the better, I emailed the ERPC as their trying to start a church here. There are some others I have my eye on I'm going to go to.

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by historyb]

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by historyb]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back