Satan And Suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
In God's providence, I'm trying to better understand the work of Satan and demons in our suffering. Revelation 2:10 talks about the devil putting Christians in prison. In Job's case, the devil afflicted him very much.

Normally, when I suffer, I look right to God as the source, and honestly, that can sometimes stir up confusion and doubts. But it seems that the Scriptures would point to the enemies of God as being a large portion of our suffering, wouldn't you agree? Like Ephesians 6. Though God still permits such suffering, would it be safe to say that in many cases, God is not the one directly causing it?

Isaiah 45:6-7
"That men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun
That there is no one besides Me.
I am the Lord, and there is no other,
The One forming light and creating darkness,
Causing well-being and creating calamity;
I am the Lord who does all these."

I highly recommend Durham's commentary on Job as one resource for thinking through suffering and God's hand behind it. NaphtaliPress has a great edition of it.

It is helpful to remember God deals with his people as children. How many times do children "suffer" because a parent kept them from eating that one more dessert or denied them from exploring power outlets with their fingers or did not let them stay up playing late but put them to bed at their scheduled time? "Why are you being mean to me?" Children do not understand.

Likewise, the goal in the believer's suffering should ultimately be to see God's good hand in and by it. This is difficult to do sometimes, and we might not ever be able to see the full picture. It is even more difficult to feel that such suffering is for our good and God's glory. But knowing that truth and meditating on it can help both in feeling it and trusting the Lord with the suffering that we do not understand. Good books on the matter can help with those meditations (such as the commentary on Job).

Edit: I do agree that

Edit2: I cannot edit this post (or post further in this thread) because I've been blocked; seems to be some bug in the forum.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    61.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The devil is God's devil. The enemies of the church are God's creation. The tools of our chastisements and afflictions are God's to direct as He so pleases. The secret things belong to Him, but to us belongs those things revealed. That is: the words of His law.

We have 3 most mentioned enemies: The world, the flesh, and the devil.

1. Sometimes the Lord chastises us by the enemies of His people (unbelievers, false believers, Islamist scourges, etc.). The world.
2. Sometimes the Lord chastises us by giving us over -for a time- to the corruptions of our own lusts. We are our own enemies. The flesh.
3. Sometimes the Lord afflicts us by the hands of the devil. The devil.

But as we see replete throughout the Scripture, it is God Who works all things after the counsel of His own will. To the reprobate, these actions are for their hardening and ripening of judgment. For the elect, the very same things will be for their correction, and perfecting of holiness. Here's a good word from the Psalmist (39):

4 Lord, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is: that I may know how frail I am. 5 Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.

6 Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them. 7 And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee. 8 Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish.

9 I was dumb, I opened not my mouth; because thou didst it. 10 Remove thy stroke away from me: I am consumed by the blow of thine hand. 11 When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man is vanity. Selah.
Finally, I might add: Sometimes our afflictions and sufferings may be for the good of someone else, and not necessarily tied to sins of our own (although, we should confess that all affliction and pain -in some sense- is generically due to sin).

I've had difficult losses in this past month, both within my family and congregation. I accept these events as given by my sovereign and loving Father.

I've also had thoughts like, "no child of God would have gone about a decision in this way, etc." Or: "If you were really a believer ...." I am convinced these are the words of satan trying to cut an injured, distracted sheep out of the flock where she is safely tended.

So yes, the adversary contributes to our suffering, but is not free to do as he wishes. I find myself praying with confidence for Jesus to remove the evil presence and to keep me safe within His fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back