Guest - An important message about Puritan Board Member and Moderator Rules of Behavior has been posted here.

Satan accuses, The Holy Spirit Convicts - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Theological Forum' started by Pergamum, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pergamum

Pergamum Ordinary Guy (TM)

I saw this good question on the web:

What;s the difference between Satan's accusations and the Holy Spirit's conviction?

Is it solely that Satan's accusations are based on lies (but HE does accuse us based on our sins that we actually do commit, right),

Or is it motivation of the partis (one wants to destroy, the other to help)...

2. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

Perg, you're answering your own question. Satan accuses in order to divide the church. It's part of his larger strategy to rob God of His glory. The Holy Spirit convicts in order to bring the individual to repentance, and thus strengthen Christ's church.

3. Pergamum

Pergamum Ordinary Guy (TM)

no other distinction???....well, that was an easy one?

4. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

Brother, less is more! Honestly, I suppose we can write a treatise on the conviction of the Holy Spirit but I think the obvious is so plain that we don't have to dig too deep to find it.

5. Webservant

Webservant Puritan Board Sophomore

Satan's accusations lead to legalism, despair, and hopelessness. The Holy Spirit's conviction leads to repentance and life.

6. Theogenes

Theogenes Puritan Board Junior

How about this?:
    Satan's accusations drive us toward self (to defend ourselves by ourselves) where the Holy Spirit's conviction drives us to Christ and His imputed righteousness.

7. Barnpreacher

Barnpreacher Puritan Board Junior

Awesome stuff! Precious to read during a time when my soul has been cast down. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.