Sang all of Psalm 35 at this evening's service

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
We sang all of psalm 35 at the evening service today (two double page spreads) which is one of the settings in the Lakewood Presbyterian Church Psalter which we took from the 1871 UPC Psalter with changes and set to the tune Saint Patrick's Breastplate. See the linked video for tune, and the settings attached in jpegs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX0Au21A6Yw
View attachment 7261View attachment 7262
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...uaUPPhXUhiLOTwTGWwKU_JHfM7j0Ifx48F_f-fzz5DZSy
Wonderful!! And such a beautiful tune. Do you think your congregation is moving toward singing Psalms more often?

Wonderful!! And such a beautiful tune. Do you think your congregation is moving toward singing Psalms more often?
Well, any more psalms than now and we'd be practically EP. :) It is rare now to have more than one hymn, at most two in a service, and more often than two hymns is all psalms in the morning. I can't remember the last service when no psalm was sung. For the evening service we follow the Wdfpw after a fashion and only sing psalms a capella (more for practical reasons but I'm hoping no one ever tries to go back if and when a pianist is available at night).

A great testimony to what the Lord can and will do. No doubt your good resolve and good spirit over the years were influential in this progress.

A great testimony to what the Lord can and will do. No doubt your good resolve and good spirit over the years were influential in this progress.
Oh, I helped by keeping my mouth shut, rather than hinder things with fussy disapprovals, etc. The pastor has been committed to singing the psalms and the church was singing them for years before I joined. It has grown more prominent with familiarity with the psalms. My contribution has been indirect and only more direct when it came time to help produce the psalter and set our goal to be as true to the underlying text as possible without needless, and certainly without excessive extra words to meet the tune which we call "padding". In fact, we just started a long term project to replace our current 3 year old psalter because we trusted too much certain psalters in this regard and also to try to have fewer restraints so that we can produce a psalter we could sell if we wanted to. Our current psalter is restricted in house use given the agreements made to use certain psalter selections under copyright.

They sang part of Psalm 103 at Stranmillis Evangelical Presbyterian Church last night. I believe it was taken from Sing Psalms and was sung to the same tune as the hymn, "Before the throne of God above." You can probably use that tune for quite a few psalms in that version and in others.

For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light. Psalm 36:9

Attachments

• Morning-Star.jpg
    Morning-Star.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back