Samuel Rutherford on Popery turning Britain into a field of blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The followers of Christ are the sons of Nobles All blood is of one colour, holiness maketh the difference. Fortuna vitrea est, tum cum splendet, frangitur. Things we rest on here be made of crystal glass, while they glister, they are broken. Plures tegit fortuna, quam tutor facit. The world may cover men, it cannot make them secure. But the Lord is a Sun and a shield. What hath Jesus Christ on Earth, which he loveth, as he doth his Church? What a created peace is the true Church? A woman clothed with the Sun, and the Moon under her feet, and upon her head a Crowne of twelve Stars. Her very servants are the glory of Christ.

Yet is this poor woman in Britain, crying, travelling in birth, pained while she be delivered, because of the Idolatry of the Land, and our defection and apostacy practised, countenanced, tolerated in both Kingdoms. Many graves, many Widows, and the Land turned into a field of blood are the just fruits of many Altars, of Mass-idols, of Bread worship, of many inventions of men, let then: have a name and flourish in the House of the Lord, and let them be written with the living in Jerusalem who contribute help for the desired birth of the manchild. Prelacy and Popery wither, as in a Land of drought, except they be planted beside Rivers of blood; but the Lord shall build his own Jerusalem.

For the reference, see:

a field of blood
Rutherford seemed to like this phrase - it shows up in Lex Rex and a few of his sermons and letters. I assume he is taking this from Acts 1.19 (Judas' demise) but I have never found where he directly attributes it. The phrase/reference shows up in the writings of many Covenanters later on, too.

let then: have a name
My copy has "let them have a name"

1664112022403.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back