Samuel Miller of Monifieth on the folly of trusting in the means of grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Someone recently reminded us of the error of putting our trust in princes. While we should use the naturally appointed means to resist certain great evils, we must always remember that it is ultimately the Lord that grants us deliverance. In the spiritual realm, it is easy to fall into a similar trap. It is a good thing to prize the means of grace and diligently use them, yet we must always remember that they are means not the end itself and that using them is not the same thing as idolising them. Samuel Miller (not that one!!!) points out the eternal consequences of such misplaced trust:

... But let me not be misunderstood. I am far from disparaging the means of grace, or undervaluing the diligent employment of them. ‘Tis a blessed thing to search the Scriptures, to wait on ordinances, to pray. And would to God that Gospel despisers were brought to these hallowed exercises. But still I must affirm that it is awful folly to rest satisfied with coming that length and no more. Satan has no objections to bring souls thither, if lie can keep them there. It is one of his old devices to bring demoniacs to the synagogue. The carnal heart is fain to quiet alike the voice of conscience and the call of Christ, with the permission to itself, “Hitherto shalt thou come and no farther.” Yes, but that “no farther” is a lie; for stopping short of Christ cannot stop short of hell.

For more, see Samuel Miller of Monifieth on the folly of trusting in the means of grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back