Samuel Bolton: God is a consuming fire outside of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
In regard of Admission, God is a consuming fire, and we are but dried stubble, there is no approaching of him but in Christ, in whom we may have access with boldness to the throne of grace; God will not look pleasingly on you, if you come without Christ, here is no throne of grace without him; without Christ it is rather a Bar or Tribunal of justice, then a Throne of Grace.

It is Christ who makes that which was a Bar of justice, a Bench of mercy. In him we have admission. You go upon this Ordinance [of communion] now, but go not in the strength of your preparations, but in the strength of Christ. Say, Lord I come alone in the Merits of Christ, to partake of the Merits of the Lord Jesus. I come in the blood of Christ, to partake of the blood of the Lord Jesus. I have endeavoured to prepare and fit myself through thy grace, but I look not for admission through my preparations, but through the blood and mediation of Christ.

For the reference, see Samuel Bolton: God is a consuming fire outside of Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back