Salutations! Let me introduce myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman

My name is Matthew James Bauer. I'm 17 years of age and living in the great state of Kansas. I live with my family, happily married my parents have been and i have one sibling... He is in 8th grade and he is not as well... for lack of better term, receptive to scripture as the rest of the family. All family aside though.

I was raised in Overland Park Baptist Temple. A Independent Baptist Fundamental Conservative Legalistic "Bible-Believing" Baptist Church. Good times to be had by all har har har.

About 1 year ago God began to open my eyes to the excellency of the knowledge of the 'truth'. Not the heresy they were spreading there with their dispensational premillennial babble.

I began to study on my own and although I do not know the scriptures in and out nor do i have a firm grasp on all aspects of theology I strive to keep my relationship with God as perfect as it can be by studying Him. Through this I find that He is most pleased in me when I take delight in Him.

As I continue to study, covenant theology vs dispensationalism vs new covenant theology, i begin to get confused.

I have spent almost 6 months associating myself with scripture over calvinism vs free will vs synergism vs monergism. It has been a trip, let me tell you. I cannot wait to learn here as I have just recently discovered this forum, although I have posted on 5solas.org before.

At this point here is a brief although not exclusive summary of my beliefs that the bible seems to teach. Brothers and Sisters I am not a professional and if you see error I hope that my eyes may be opened via this board and scripture.

[-edit-
At this point also, please pray for me as I am not allowed to attend church. My parents have told me that until I turn 18 i will not go to any church other than their church. I have been disciplined by the church and verbally abused and therefore I do not feel it is in my best interest to continue to attend there. So i am 'churchless'. Upon my 18th birthday however (Jan 15 Woo hoo!) I will begin attending the 'Shawnee RPC' which is part of the RPCNA. And there I will attempt to become a member, God willing.
/]

Thank you all for your patience with me.

My views:
Theonomic Ethics, Postmillennial, Reconstruction, Calvinist, Federal Vision, Paedo-Baptism, Paedo-Communion, Presbyterian Gov't, Partial-Preterist, Puritan...

Grace and Peace!

[Edited on 10-14-2005 by mattbauer]

wsw201

Puritan Board Senior
:welcome:

Wow! Those are some pretty heavy duty views. You must have been doing a whole lot of studying.

[Edited on 10/14/2005 by wsw201]

HuguenotHelpMeet

Puritan Board Freshman
My family and I were in the RPCNA for years. We've visited the Shawnee church in Kansas. I hope you will be edified there in the coming year.

Welcome to the board.

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman
From Douglas Wilson's stand point, Yes I affirm the belief in his definition of the word 'christian' and the views on the visible church vs invisible church. Things of that matter. However, i believe that schlissel and wilkins have taken a detour from orthodoxy on such matters. Wilson himself says there are 'many' camps within the FV Theology.

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman
If you have read the book "reformed" is not enough by wilson it is close to what i would adhere to. However, i have read The Federal Vision and differ with the 'majority' of the articles within it.

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman
yes i just posted on that thread. I want to get this under control or figure out what the fallacies within it are. or Maybe i am not FV and i have gotten things confused. At any rate please be patient and allow me to get this all sorted out on this forum not sort you guys out but myself. Thanks! grace and peace.

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman
Maybe this is a good time to add to the list before i get banned that i do adhere to Justification by Faith Alone... I am not involved in the NPP. haha. Trying to keep from getting banned.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Originally posted by mattbauer
If you have read the book "reformed" is not enough by wilson it is close to what i would adhere to. However, i have read The Federal Vision and differ with the 'majority' of the articles within it.
I've read it!

http://www.apuritansmind.com/BookReviews/WilsonDouglasReformedNotEnough.htm
"œReformed" is Definitely Enough:
A critique of Douglas Wilson´s book, "œReformed" is not Enough"
By Dr. C. Matthew McMahon

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
Maybe this is a good time to add to the list before i get banned that i do adhere to Justification by Faith Alone... I am not involved in the NPP. haha. Trying to keep from getting banned.
Matt,

My suggestion is to do a lot of listening. You would also be wise to take some time and do some reading. Many subjects have been covered in great detail in times past, and many of us don't have the time we would like to repeat much of it - even though it would be a good thing to repeat it.

For example, I have probably written in a dozen or so threads a great deal about why paedocommunion is unReformed, unBiblical and dangerous. You can use the search function to search by name as well as (or in combination with) words. You can look at the member list to see the most frequent posts and the ordination credentials of many.

I'm not saying this to stop you from asking questions, but rather to give you some information to help you to ask better questions.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
If you hold to the FV, chances are REAL good you will be banned. FYI
RPCGA Statement on Justification

One more time - you DO hold to the FV?

[Edited on 10-14-2005 by webmaster]

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman
With all due respect Webmaster:
At 11:06 you posted your critique of the book by douglas wilson.
At 11:08 you made the statement that if i 'hold to the FV chances are REAL good i will be banned' You then proceeding to ask 'one more time - you DO hold to the FV?'

You have given me 2 minutes to read your review/critique of the book and recant if that is the way i should understand that last post... I cannot recant of something that I have not been given ample time to look at and honestly study yet. I have only read one side of the argument. If this gets me banned, that is a shame, It would not be a fair chance for me to recant. But i will not recant of what i hold to per se until i am convinced by scripture. Dear sir, give me a bit of time before a ban. Even Martin Luther had some time to consider he recant at the diet i believe it was.

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman
Well here is a short list of things i disagree with Wilson on if he does actually adhere to these, although I did not see these in his writings maybe you did...

I believe in Justification by Faith Alone, not corporate...
I believe that baptism is not effectual to salvation...
I do not believe in assurance from baptism...
And after the intro, i can see a case for his wrong usage of christian.

pastorway

Puritan Board Senior

I was raised in Overland Park Baptist Temple. A Independent Baptist Fundamental Conservative Legalistic "Bible-Believing" Baptist Church. Good times to be had by all har har har.

About 1 year ago God began to open my eyes to the excellency of the knowledge of the 'truth'. Not the heresy they were spreading there with their dispensational premillennial babble.
Dispensational thought is erroneous, but not heretical. FV on the other hand, has been labelled serious error and heresy. So I would be very cautious about how you label the different theologies you have been studying for the last 6 months to a year.

At this point also, please pray for me as I am not allowed to attend church. My parents have told me that until I turn 18 i will not go to any church other than their church. I have been disciplined by the church and verbally abused and therefore I do not feel it is in my best interest to continue to attend there. So i am 'churchless'. Upon my 18th birthday however (Jan 15 Woo hoo!) I will begin attending the 'Shawnee RPC' which is part of the RPCNA. And there I will attempt to become a member, God willing.
What do you mean by discipline? Are you under church discipline from your church? If so, why have they put you under discipline?

Also, if you are still at home and under your parents authority then you should be attending church with them as they have told you. To willingly make yourself "churchless" as an act of disobedience to your parents is a serious issue indeed, violating many commands of Scripture.

My views:
Theonomic Ethics, Postmillennial, Reconstruction, Calvinist, Federal Vision, Paedo-Baptism, Paedo-Communion, Presbyterian Gov't, Partial-Preterist, Puritan...

Grace and Peace!

[Edited on 10-14-2005 by mattbauer]
Quite a lot of deep stuff here for only having studied it a few months! Proceed with caution......

Phillip

[Edited on 10-14-05 by pastorway]

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman
By discipline I mean i have been taken aside and had a 'stern' talking to by the youth pastor. On a number of occasions they have told me that i should not express my views on scripture to anyone in the church but rather if someone has a question i should detour them to the pastor alone and not even state my view. I have been told by the leadership there that I am a 'waste of time' word for word and that they used to see potential but it is all gone.

My parents do not require me to go, if i gave the forum the idea that i was in rebellion against my parents i apologize that is not the case. My parents have simply said if i do not go to their church i may not go to church at all.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Welcome Matt. Enjoy your time here.

For what it's worth, I commend to you the wisdom of these older and godly men.

pastorway

Puritan Board Senior
My parents have simply said if i do not go to their church i may not go to church at all.
Then you would be wise to go to church with them, and be quiet....quick to hear, slow to speak, humble, submissive. To do otherwise is to forsake the assembling of yourself together (Heb 10:25). And not going to church at all makes one unaccountable and out of step with the Scriptures.

Phillip

[Edited on 10-14-05 by pastorway]

Saiph

Puritan Board Junior
Then you should go to church and be quiet....quick to hear, slow to speak, humble, submissive. To do otherwise is to forsake the assembling of yourself together (Heb 10:25).
Or, he could humbly, and prayerfully continue the discussion with his parents and leaders to show them their error.

1Ti 5:1 Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father. Treat younger men like brothers,
1Ti 5:2 older women like mothers, younger women like sisters, in all purity.

Dispensationalism, although we would not call it a damnable heresy, is false doctrine. It attacks scripture by inferring that some parts of both the Old and New Testaments do not apply to us anymore, and were only for the Jews.

Pilgrim

Puritan Board Doctor
Matt,

That's an interesting list of views. Some would argue that some of them are mutually exclusive, like Puritan and FV, paedocommunion, etc. But iron sharpens iron. That's why we're here.

When I was 17 I was more interested in tennis, rock, metal and "alternative" music and could have cared less about Puritanism or anything else "religious".

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
At 11:08 you made the statement that if i 'hold to the FV chances are REAL good i will be banned' You then proceeding to ask 'one more time - you DO hold to the FV?'

You have given me 2 minutes to read your review/critique of the book and recant if that is the way i should understand that last post... I cannot recant of something that I have not been given ample time to look at and honestly study yet. I have only read one side of the argument. If this gets me banned, that is a shame, It would not be a fair chance for me to recant. But i will not recant of what i hold to per se until i am convinced by scripture. Dear sir, give me a bit of time before a ban. Even Martin Luther had some time to consider he recant at the diet i believe it was.
He had 24 hours. ;)

PuritanCovenanter

Staff member
Welcome to the board Matt. Don't be intimidated. You will be loved here. But there is little tolerance for the FV as there should be. God has given you a sharp mind and hungry spirit. Strap your seat belt on and be ready to learn. I am sure by your questions and answers others will be edified by you also.

Be Encouraged buddy.
The local Reformed Baptist.

Randy Snyder

Originally posted by pastorway
My parents have simply said if i do not go to their church i may not go to church at all.
Then you would be wise to go to church with them, and be quiet....quick to hear, slow to speak, humble, submissive. To do otherwise is to forsake the assembling of yourself together (Heb 10:25). And not going to church at all makes one unaccountable and out of step with the Scriptures.

Phillip
Good Counsel Pastor Way.... Go, sit, and be reverent toward God and your parents. In quiet meekness, endure hardship as a servant of the Lord.

bond-servant

Puritan Board Sophomore
Matt
Welcome to the board. This is a great place to come if you are truly seeking to learn sound theology.

:handshake:

tdowns

Puritan Board Junior
Welcome

Hey Matt, awesome to see a young person amped up for learning about God. Remember when dealing with your folks and those at church, that many people have wisdom even though they may be theologically in error. I'm amazed at how many Godly men just do not know the error of their theology, but of course, they have been raised with that and nothing else. I have some elder gentlemen at my church that stare dumbstruck at me when I try to explain different views than the ones they know, they just don't understand they even exist. But these same men are powerful men of God, men who have fed the poor, nourished their marriages for 20 plus years, etc. They may not have been exposed to the intricacies of Reformed theology, and may not understand it, but it does not make them bad men. Many know the bible very well, they just have bad theology in certain areas. I can learn from these men about patience, temperance, kindness, steadfastness. My prayers are that all the church will grow in truth, but as seen even by the moderators on this board, they don't all see the same truth. My point is, despite the error in doctrine, you can appreciate and grow amongst those at your church, and in patiently listening, and sometimes sharing, you may win the ear of those in the church. Then when the time is right (Jan) move on, and you will have a more receptive audience when you invite them to your new church.

I bet many here can share the stories though of when they first were exposed to sound doctrine while within the halls of Calvary Chapels and other synergistic churches, like you, and like me, I'm sure many ran about spouting every new doctrine that sounded better that they came across, and along the way had to change their stance as they learned more--I'm still trying to figure it out, I swing every time I read Pastor Way, then read Rev. Matt on some issues.

Sorry for the ramble, just letting you know a bunch of us have been there, be eager to learn and eager to receive correction.

gwine

Puritan Board Sophomore
Originally posted by webmaster

He had 24 hours. ;)
But you would agree that there is a difference between Matthew and Martin insofar as knowledge and wisdom? It would be sad to see someone so young dealt with in the same manner as someone such as Doug Wilson, who is old enough and learned enough to know better.

Arch2k

Puritan Board Graduate
Welcome aboard Matt! A fellow Kansan...not many of us reformed folk here in the plains.

I too have read Wilson's "Reformed is Not Enough." He is very tricky, as with all of the other FV in my opinion. Read him critically. Read everybody critically for that matter. But study study study on this issue.

Do some roaming around in the archives of this board. Federal Vision has been discussed many times, and anyone could learn much by the discussions that have ensued.

Again welcome, and if you're ever in the Wichita area, let me know!

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Matt,

Take some time and have some breathing room to poke about the board and see how some of these guys and gals can help on various doctrinal issues, especially the ones that we have pointed out as non-negotiable with the Gospel.

Don't worry about the 24 hour remark, it was tongue in cheek. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.