Saint Andrews Chapel

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, the name "Saint Andrews Chapel" should have been the first tip that something fishy was going on -- too RC/Anglican to taken as seriously reformed. :D

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Where I live every other Presbyterian church is named Saint Andrews. Of course we are all Scots & worship in the chuches our pioneer fathers built with their own two hands...

I would welcome you to visit any one of these congregations on a Sunday morning & declare in an audible voice that the name was a "fishy" affinity with "RC/Anglican"(ism).

If you made it out in one piece, I would gladly buy you a beer to celebrate your survival.:2cents:

O.k., o.k. I concede.

I'm not arguing in favor of the images. You guys are right on that matter. I just don't think it would keep me from worshipping at his church again. Nor am I going to lay the whole ministry of R.C. Sproul on the altar of his views on images.

Seriously, these issues are all new to this minister. I did not come from a confessional background. I came from a Semi-Pelagian background to Calvinism and now to Reformed confessionalism. The trip isn't always an easy one, as I'm sure some of you could attest too. :detective:

As an aside, many of you have been very helpful to me concerning these issues and I thank you for that.

Amen. My experience too. For me, the issue is painful because R.C. has been SO helpful to me in my own life. While not a Sproul lapdog, I get pretty choked up over his impact for the cause of the Gospel in this Semi-Pelagian evangelical environment.

One of my beefs with R.C., however, relates to the fact that he calls himself a PCA Presbyterian and has not affiliated with a presbytery! He recounts the reasons in one of his messages as follows (to the best of my memory): I am a PCA man, wanted my people to be a PCA church, and kept pushing for it. Then, it hit me. They could care less. I asked them if they were becoming PCA out of conviction or merely to honor/humor me. They answered that it was mainly to humor me. So I pulled the plug on the process. I would rather have no affiliation than a phony meaningless one.

Reading between the "preacher talk," it sounds as if R.C. got some political pushback from his leaders and opted for the Star Trek strategy: "Let the Wookie win." However, how does a committed, confessional Presbyterian guy NOT join a Presbyterian denomination??? If he wants to be a Baptist, come on over. We desperately need the doctrines of grace among the Baptists. Besides, R.C. already preaches like a Baptist. :lol:

And this isn't about how I feel about Sproul. Do I respect him as a man that has had a great impact on my life? Certainly, I do. It would have been no different had I been in Michigan and would have had a desire to go worship at Beeke's church, or Minnesota at Piper's church.But the rebukes have been endless, and I didn't start this thread to rebuke him.

Amen. Sproul, Beeke, and Piper have all been a blessing to me too. My mother always taught me to eat the chicken and not the bones, not skip the chicken because of the bones.

Thank you, Dennis. I thank you because you are a man I hold in high esteem, and it does my heart well to see that you have struggled with these issues as well.

Where I live every other Presbyterian church is named Saint Andrews. Of course we are all Scots & worship in the chuches our pioneer fathers built with their own two hands...

Any Son of a Scotsman who worships in a place called "Saint Andrew's Chapel" deserves a good swift kick in the kilt.

Next thing you know they'll be having tea with the bishop. :lol:

Rev. Sproul is a PCA minister. Unless he were ordained elsewhere and never transferred his credentials, I'd imagine he was responsible to the Central Florida Presbytery, no? Ecclesiologically, we in the OPC would say he is "laboring out of bounds" - that is, not in a congregation in his home denomination.

He preached on Matthew 6:11, Our Daily Bread. He did use illustrations about white bread and how bad it is for us. He also gave an illustration about how when they lived in Holland when his daughter was young her first words she learned was asking the baker for bread. No Rudolph illustrations yesterday.

You were there when my family and I were there as well. We did not like the pictures, but appreciated the bible study and sermon. We were there two weeks earlier as well.

He preached on Matthew 6:11, Our Daily Bread. He did use illustrations about white bread and how bad it is for us. He also gave an illustration about how when they lived in Holland when his daughter was young her first words she learned was asking the baker for bread. No Rudolph illustrations yesterday.

You were there when my family and I were there as well. We did not like the pictures, but appreciated the bible study and sermon. We were there two weeks earlier as well.

That's funny. Shows what a small world we live in since both of us were coming from TN.

I must say the following week's sermon was much better in my opinion than the week you were there. He preached on "Forgive us our debts", and talked about sin as being a debt and a crime. While I thought the "Daily Bread" message was good, it didn't have the same content as the following week's sermon.

Rev. Sproul is a PCA minister. Unless he were ordained elsewhere and never transferred his credentials, I'd imagine he was responsible to the Central Florida Presbytery, no? Ecclesiologically, we in the OPC would say he is "laboring out of bounds" - that is, not in a congregation in his home denomination.

Yes, RC Sr. is a PCA minister and a member of Central Florida Presbytery. His congregation is independent and not PCA. Terry Johnson, pastor of Independent Presbyterian in Savannah, Georgia, is a PCA minister but his congregation is not a member of the PCA (in Terry's case it has something to do with the charter of the congregation that goes back a hundred years or so).

That's funny. Shows what a small world we live in since both of us were coming from TN.

I must say the following week's sermon was much better in my opinion than the week you were there. He preached on "Forgive us our debts", and talked about sin as being a debt and a crime. While I thought the "Daily Bread" message was good, it didn't have the same content as the following week's sermon.

We drove back all the way to Memphis following worship... what a long day!!! What part of TN are you from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back