Saddleback Theology Tithes & Locusts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Puritan Board Junior
Dear Saddleback Family,

The Bible often speaks of "locusts" - a variety of grasshoppers that migrate in huge thick swarms and eat every crop in sight. The damage locusts can do in a few hours is unbelievable. A plague of locusts can wipe out all your hard work, investment, and legacy in a single day. That's why the Bible also use locusts to symbolize any circumstances or people that are destructive, debilitating, or discouraging,

You may have had some "locusts" in your life - forces that were eating away at your effort, your energy, your effectiveness, or your enthusiasm. What can you do? Well, until aerial spraying, the only way was to pray for change in the wind! That's what Moses did:

"Moses pleaded with the Lord. So the Lord changed the wind. He made a very strong wind blow from the west, and it blew the locusts away into the Red Sea. Not one locust was left anywhere in Egypt." Exodus 10:19 (NCV)

Always remember that what is out of your control is never out of God's control. You just need to take that circumstance to God and he will take care of it for you. "If God is for us, who can ever be against us? Romans 8:31 (NLT) In fact, God gives us a great promise of hope when locusts are eating away at us:

"I will restore and replace for you the years that the locusts have eaten away. I will give you back what you lost." Joel 2:25 (Amp/NLT)

This weekend, I'm speaking on "The Legacy of HOPE." If something or someone has been eating away at you, this encouraging message is for you!

There's a new wind blowing at Saddleback sent from God! You can feel it!

Pastor Rick

PS: Amazingly, God promises to keep the "locusts" from eating at you if you do one thing: tithe!

"The whole nation has robbed me. Bring to My Storehouse a full tenth of what you earn so there will be food in my house. Test me in this!" says the Lord.. "I will open the windows of heaven for you and pour out all the blessings you need. I will stop the locusts from eating your crops!" Malachi 3:9-12 (NCV)

FUNNY TRIVIA. Did you know that locusts are high in protein? 69%! They are the only insect that God allowed the people in Bible times to eat! "No insects may be eaten, with the exception of those that jump; locusts of all varieties--ordinary locusts, bald locusts, crickets, and grasshoppers--may be eaten." Leviticus 11:20-21 (LB)

Here are some actual locust recipes for the adventurous! Check out the Cambodian one!

Tinjiya (Tswana recipe): remove the wings and hindlegs of the locusts, and boil in a little water until soft. Add salt, if desired, and a little fat and fry until brown. Serve with cooked, dried mealies (corn).
Sikonyane (Swazi recipe): prepare embers and roast the whole locust on the embers. Remove head, wings, and legs, in other words, only the breast part is eaten. The South Sotho people use locusts especially as food for travellers. The heads and last joint of the hindlegs are broken off and the rest laid on the coals to roast. The roasted locusts are ground on a grinding stone to a fine powder. This powder can be kept for long periods of time and is taken along on a journey. Dried locusts are also prepared for the winter months. The legs, when dried, are especially relished for their pleasant taste.

Cambodia: take several dozen locust adults, preferably females, slit the abdomen lengthwise and stuff a peanut inside. Then lightly grill the locusts in a wok or hot frying pan, adding a little oil and salt to taste. Be careful not to overcook or burn them.

Barbecue (grilled): prepare the embers or charcoal. Place about one dozen locusts on a skewer, stabbing each through the centre of the abdomen. If you only want to eat the abdomen, then you may want to take off the legs or wings either before or after cooking. Several skewers of locusts may be required for each person. Place the skewers above the hot embers and grill while turning continuously to avoid burning the locusts until they become golden brown.

This E mail invaded my box today...Well, is Rick Warren correct? If we tithe will God grant us protection/restoration? (I know he'd love it if his congregation believes this.) Seriously, though...what could be said to friends/family caught-up in this snare to counter this assertion? :um:

Robin - R.W. seems to be promising that if a believer tithes they will not endure the robbing of the locusts in their lives. The problem is that tithing is no protection from problems of any type. It is the same guilt trip as telling a person, "If you only had faith you would not have problems in your life." The conclusion? Problems happen because the person must obviously be sinning. Hogwash!

If you are able to engage a Warrenite in discussion about this, let them know that the bible never promises prosperity or protection from financial tragedy. Indeed our Lord said, Matthew 8:20 20 Jesus said to him, "The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head." The real key to dealing with circumstances is to learn contentment. Paul wrote, Philippians 4:11-13 11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Are locusts purpose-driven? Let's throw a few on the barbie!

But seriously, this is bad theology and, as usual, bad use of Scripture.

I got the feeling that the P.S was the real reason for the email. Made to look like an after thought, the email was a plea for money, In my humble opinion. The theology is just 'name it/claim' it with a deposit.

I got the feeling that the P.S was the real reason for the email. Made to look like an after thought, the email was a plea for money, In my humble opinion. The theology is just 'name it/claim' it with a deposit.

Bob, that is what I thought. I knew R.W. was out to lunch, I never knew he wanted other people to pay for it. :lol:

Jude explains graphically, the traits of false teachers:

verse 8-13 ...relying on their dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones. But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, "The Lord rebuke you." But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively. Woe to them! For they walked in the way of Cain and abandoned themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam's error and perished in Korah's rebellion. These are blemishes on your love feasts, as they feast with you without fear, looking after themselves; waterless clouds, swept along by winds; fruitless trees in late autumn, twice dead, uprooted; wild waves of the sea, casting up the foam of their own shame; wandering stars, for whom the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved forever.

Warren's fearless, shameless boasting now leads to coercive money-making (different from merchandising) tactics. His descent continues...

Meg, the locusts may not be purpose driven, but they sure are nutritious and expeditious! :p

Eee-ahh!

That's true, tithing is taught in Scripture, that's not what I meant by bad theology, it's the attempt to make us do so out of fear of some material disaster rather than either because we love God or simply because we are commanded to do it, that bothers me. Plus, it was so self-serving...eeeech!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back