Sad History of How the Congregational Calvinists Fell Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie Kaulitz

Puritan Board Freshman
I came across this link from Monergism Books that tells the very sad history of how an entire group of Calvinists fell away to be lost (within a generation or so?). Sometimes we downplay how important it is to have a specific church government (Presbyterian vs Congregational) or how important it is to stick to our confessions or how important theology really is for EVERY Christian to know (not just pastors and professors) or how important it is to consider Arminianism a lie from Satan (rather than "not so bad because God may choose to call His elect through false preaching"). How important it is for us to learn from our history and to not make the same mistakes as our past brothers. How strongly we must fight for the truth! One "little lie" or "half-truth" can throw us and our children/future generations into a lost people. We must not stop at learning Calvinism but also learn the lie so we will recognize it when it rears its ugly head. Learn your history and teach it to your children to avoid making the same mistakes.

Protestant Reformed Theological Journal: April 1999

Ways in Which the Congregational and Puritain Seperatist Calvinists that spawned Jonathan Edwards fell away to become apostate:
1) Losing our Confessional interpretation of the Bible: "The emphasis on the Bible, rather than on confessional orthodoxy"
2) Separation of Church and State: advocated complete separation between church and state and
3) Letting Arminianism creep in: Sadly, the Baptists were largely of the "General" variety, with their heresy of universal atonement. These Baptists made converts in the rest of New England.
4) Letting Antinomianism creep in: Mrs. Hutchinson was an Antinomian; sanctification did not involve obedience to God's law.
5) Not holding the conversion of our children as a top priority: the biggest problem... the second and third generations: they were mostly unconverted.
6) No Baptism of Children (For my Credo brothers/sisters, I didn't write this): New England's spiritual declension was particularly evident in the refusal of the majority of parents to present their children for baptism. Roger Williams [Anabaptist] denied paedobaptism...
7) Opening the church to society rather than exclusively for believers: the church-in-society or "holy commonwealth" model, [rather than] the pure church principle...
8) No elders/church government: allowed for churches without elders... [It] denies the kingship of Christ over the church in its two basic respects: rule over the congregation by a body of elders and authority over the united congregations in prescribed areas by an authoritative synod. [They ended up opening Baptism up to non-believers' children and the Lord's Supper to non-Christians.]

Which proves one of the central biblical truths recovered for the church by "Calvinism" (reformed theology), those who fall away tend to prove out they never were saved.

It underscores the important of working out our salvation with fear and trembling, by diligently availing ourselves of the ordinary means of grace, the Word, sacraments,

and,

passing these truths along to our children,
and making all these things a priority in this life.

Very interesting historical analysis. Reminds me of the Down-Grade controversy dealt with by Spurgeon, especially the shift to Arminianism part.

American church history is not big on my reading list, but from what I have read, I would be more inclined to say that many of these problems emerged DESPITE Edwards' best efforts, not BECAUSE of them.

All history is complicated. What happened to the Presbyterians in England that they became Unitarian, and Presbyterianism in England had to be revived by missionary efforts from Scotland? Since we are generally opposed to episcopacy, it seems ironic that Trinitarianism, and indeed Calvinism, lasted longer within the Anglican communion in England than it did within the ranks of English Presbyterians.

It is not that any of these points are unimportant; but consider the seven churches in Revelation. There were a variety of spiritual diseases, relative to doctrine, discipline, and devotion. Without faithfulness in all three areas, that is without repentance and progress in sanctification, a disease in one area can be as deadly as disease in another area.

Wow, now that you mention how the Presbyterians were lost, I'm curious to read the history. Indeed, it is ironic that it lasted in the Anglican church than in the English Presbyterians.

Yes, Satan can get us and trick us in many ways. And not just in poor theology. But in pride, arrogance, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back