Sabbath Observance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if this has already been pointed out, but the two great commandments are the moral law or the ten commandments. Do you know where the 2 commandments come from. Not the teaching ministry of incarnate Christ who supposedly abolished the law.

Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

the 3rd and 5th books of Moses, the Books of the Law. Leviticus, the Law of the Priests, and Deuteronomy, the repetition of the Law.

the 1st and 2nd great commandments are a summery of the whole moral law they do not replace it.

Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

the 1st great commandment is the first table of the moral law.
LOVE GOD
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain
4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

the 2nd great commandment is the 2nd table of the moral law
LOVE FELLOW MAN
5. Honor thy father and thy mother
6. Thou shalt not kill
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery
8. Thou shalt not steal
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness
10. Thou shalt not covet

The 10 commandments teach us how to love God and our fellow man. The Bible and particularly the Law further teach us what the commandments mean.

Jacob said:
"We make distinctions between ceremonial/judicial/moral laws.

Yes, Jacob, I've noticed. Does this cause you any discomfort?

Jacob said:
"1. You have repeatedly failed to define love. You keep throwin out this abstract concept.
2. Perhaps it does underline all law, but you have still failed to define it."

Ah, only on a Reformed discussion board, could I be asked to define this "abstract" concept called "love."

Love:
------
- a strong positive emotion of regard and affection;
"his love for his helping others";
"children need a lot of love"

- any object of warm affection or devotion;
"helping the poor was her first love"
"he had a great love for the way Tatum threw fierce tackles on Sunday afternoon"

Gentlemen, with all due respect, I fear that I should no longer participate in this thread - at least today.

My energy and brainpower is very limited. I also fear that dicussion boards - even Christian discussion boards - are not the most productive uses of time.

I have great respect for the Bible-focus many people on this board have. After spending years going to Pentecostal-type churches, your seriousness is quite refreshing.

Alison is a bit annoyed that nobody complimented her green and brown earrings, however.

On the issue of OT laws I fear we disagree. I believe we are operating under a new covenant in which many OT laws are no longer applicable. I believe the new covenant focuses on loving and honouring God and loving your neighbour. The other books in the Bible elaborate on this concept.

Hebrews 8:
--------------
"But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises......

By calling this covenant 'new', he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear."

These passages have massive implications.

I greatly respect your opinions, but I don't want to spend too much time debating this or any issue - at least today.

Originally posted by Henry from Canada
Jacob said:
"1. You have repeatedly failed to define love. You keep throwin out this abstract concept.
2. Perhaps it does underline all law, but you have still failed to define it."

Ah, only on a Reformed discussion board, could I be asked to define this "abstract" concept called "love."

Love:
------
- a strong positive emotion of regard and affection;
"his love for his helping others";
"children need a lot of love"

- any object of warm affection or devotion;
"helping the poor was her first love"
"he had a great love for the way Tatum threw fierce tackles on Sunday afternoon"
Love is much more than a "strong positive emotion" or warm affection...

You could define it the way our Savior did...

John 14:15"If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

21Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him."

John 15:9As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.

Also
1 John 5:2By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

3For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2 John 1: 5And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

6And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

There. Plenty of love and law. I will forego pasting all of Psalm 119 to save bandwidth. Also if you will re-read various threads, everyone will acknowledge both continuities and discontinuities between the OT and NT.

[Edited on 2-4-2006 by crhoades]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back