Rushdoony: Revolt Against Maturity

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
This book is classic Rushdoony: in both the good and bad senses. Taking a broad scope, this work is an examination of unbiblical psychologies against the backdrop of Thomas Boston's *Human Nature in its Fourfold State.* So far, so good. He begins with the thesis that God's making man as a mature adult sheds light on man's sin: it is also a revolt from maturity. Rush then uses this model to examine decaying American life.

Dominion is an inescapable category. Those societies and religions that take time seriously as a limited commodity and see history as one of dynamic movement are always progressive, conquering societies (e.g., the Puritans). Rush's wide reading in history and sociology sheds often delivers penetrating analyses.

Societies which reject godly dominion do not simply stagnate: they introduce false gods and false models of dominion. (Rushdoony wrote before the advent of video games and reality TV. It is good he is not around to see them).

The book ends with a perceptive chapter on heaven and the eternal state (and a not surprising, though unexpected, riff on Klaas Schilder).

The Bad:

Whenever Rushdoony is about to make a brilliant point on the "essence and nature" of man, the chapter abruptly stops. Other chapters--maybe half a dozen--could have been omitted and are repeated in numerous other books.

While Rushdoony has valuable insights on sex and man's revolt against maturity, I do wonder on how he knows some of this. He footnotes several adult magazine and even if it is "research," well, it's still adult magazines. It's like the guy saying, "Honestly dear, I"m only reading the articles."

On a more substantial note, his chapter on the Eternal Sabbath neglects and downplays the worship of God. He sees Sabbath primarily as cessation of rest and not worship. This makes sense, given Rush's own anti-ecclesial background.

Conclusion:

It is mostly well-written and engaging. Some chapters (e.g., "Time") are worth the price of the book. I read it in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back