Ruin and Redemption Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi everyone, I figured since I was reviewing Jon's Ruin and Redemption on Amazon that I should post my thoughts here as well to encourage others to pick up the book if they haven't already.

This book is a goldmine of truth, providing an excellent synthesis of 500 years of covenant theology. It is thorough in its content, yet accessible to anyone willing to put in the work. Although a beginner could get through the book, I would generally consider it an intermediate level resource that should be read after one has grasped the basics. It is a long read. Footnotes often take up half of the page, but that's also part of its charm. The content in the footnotes is superb, typically providing interesting background information or valuable quotes from a variety of reformed theologians such as Duncan, Robertson, Williamson, Motyer, Murray, Bavinck, Vos, Berkhof, Hodge, Goodwin, Boston, Burgess, Roberts, Witsuis, and Calvin. One of the aspects of the book I found particularly helpful was the treatment of different perspectives within reformed theology. Whether it be disagreement regarding the distinctiveness of the Covenant of Redemption or the substance of the Noahic Covenant, time is always taken to elaborate on both sides of the issue rather than just steamroll the opposition. Primary sources from the respective parties are typically provided in the footnotes. Overall, I found the book to be an excellent resource and am thoroughly impressed. The work is not only highly informative, but it is also edifying. As I read I not only grew in knowledge, but in awe of the God that we serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back