RPW contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the deal. I am trying to find everything I can that was published in the 1970s on or at least touching on the topic of the regulative principle of worship. Any one who can come up with something I already do not have will get a free book from Naphtali Press or a free comprehensive psalter (your choice of what's in print). I want American titles; you can list British but while you get kudos you don't get a book. And this can't be just anyone writing on worship, it has to be on the RPW (for or against). Byt the 1970s most all should be using that term for the principle.
Here is what I have:

G I Williamson, on the WSC. 1970.

Morton H. Smith, How is the Gold Become Dim. 1973.

The Biblical Doctrine of Worship: A Symposium to state and clarify the Scriptural teachings concerning worship with emphasis on the use of the Biblical Psalms in Christian Worship. RPCNA 1974

Vern S. Poythress, "œEzra 3, Union with Christ, and Exclusive Psalmody," WTJ 37 (1974) 1.74-94; "œEzra 3, Union with Christ, and Exclusive Psalmody (Sequel)," WTJ 37 (1975) 2:218-35.

Michael Bushell, The Songs of Zion: A Contemporary Case for Exclusive Psalmody. unpublished 1977; published 1980.

Paul E. Engle, Discovering the Fullness of Worship. 1978.

John M. Frame, ST 323 Doctrine of the Christian Life, Lecture Outline, Part III, spring 1979.

John W. Keddie, "Regulative Principle" Peace and Truth (1978?). This is a British publication and the dating is iffy; if anyone has the text and date please post!

This offer is open until I close it. I will limit this to ten people getting free books; I cannot imagine there are that many more titles out there but I need to cover myself someway. So start posting those titles!

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
Here is the deal. I am trying to find everything I can that was published in the 1970s on or at least touching on the topic of the regulative principle of worship. Any one who can come up with something I already do not have will get a free book from Naphtali Press or a free comprehensive psalter (your choice of what's in print). I want American titles; you can list British but while you get kudos you don't get a book. And this can't be just anyone writing on worship, it has to be on the RPW (for or against). Byt the 1970s most all should be using that term for the principle.
Here is what I have:

G I Williamson, on the WSC. 1970.

Morton H. Smith, How is the Gold Become Dim. 1973.

The Biblical Doctrine of Worship: A Symposium to state and clarify the Scriptural teachings concerning worship with emphasis on the use of the Biblical Psalms in Christian Worship. RPCNA 1974

Vern S. Poythress, "œEzra 3, Union with Christ, and Exclusive Psalmody," WTJ 37 (1974) 1.74-94; "œEzra 3, Union with Christ, and Exclusive Psalmody (Sequel)," WTJ 37 (1975) 2:218-35.

Michael Bushell, The Songs of Zion: A Contemporary Case for Exclusive Psalmody. unpublished 1977; published 1980.

Paul E. Engle, Discovering the Fullness of Worship. 1978.

John M. Frame, ST 323 Doctrine of the Christian Life, Lecture Outline, Part III, spring 1979.

John W. Keddie, "Regulative Principle" Peace and Truth (1978?). This is a British publication and the dating is iffy; if anyone has the text and date please post!

This offer is open until I close it. I will limit this to ten people getting free books; I cannot imagine there are that many more titles out there but I need to cover myself someway. So start posting those titles!

John McNaugher, The Psalms in Worship: A Special Exegesis of Col 3:16 and Eph 5:19 (Pittsburgh: The United Presbyterian Board of Publication, 1907)

Hart, D. G. and John R. Muether. With Reverence and Awe: Returning the Basics of Reformed Worship. Philipsburg: P&R Publishing, 2002.

Ames, William. A Fresh Suit against Human Ceremonies in God's Worship or a Triplication Unto D. Burgesse His Rejoinder for D. Morton the First Part. Rotterdam, 1633.

Horton, Michael S. A Better Way. Rediscovering the Drama of God-Centered Worship. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2002.

Nevin, Robert. Instrumental Music in Christian Worship: A Review. 2nd ed. Londonderry: Bible and Colportage Society, 1873.

Romaine, William and John Barclay. An Essay Psalmody and Preface to the Psalms. Chesley, UK: A. S. Elliott, 1880.

Davies, Horton. The Worship of the English Puritans (Morgan, PA [repr.] 1997).

Johnson, Terry. ed. Leading in Worship (Oak Ridge, 1996)

Lachman, David & Frank J., Smith (Editors) Worship in the Presence of God 1992, Greenville Seminary Press

Old, Hughes Oliphant. Guides to Reformed Tradition: Worship (Atlanta: John Knox, 1984).

"“"“Themes & Varitations for a Christian Doxology (GR: Eerdmans, 1992)

"“"“ The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church (GR: Eerdmans, 1999)

Ryken, Philip Graham, Derek W. H. Thomas and J. Ligon Duncan eds. Give Praise to God: A Vision for Reforming Worship (Phillipsburg: P&R Publishing, 2003).

Robert Godfrey, Pleasing God in Our Worship. Today's Issues (Wheaton: Crossway Books, 1999).

Thanks Scott; but 1970s -- 1970 to 1979 -- only please!

Sorry, I thought it was too easy. I sent the second one before seeing the correction. Searching WorldCat (OCLC) I find these so far:

Jarman, Robert D. "The Regulative Principle of Scripture: The Origin of a Cardinal Doctrine in the Early Elizabethan Puritan Movement." M. A. Thesis. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 1977.

Maxwell, Jack Martin. Worship and Reformed Theology: The Liturgical Lessons of Mercersburg. Pittsburgh: Pickwick Press, 1976.

Old, Hughes Oliphant. The Patristic Roots of Reformed Worship. Zürich: Theologischer Verlag, 1975.

Ross, John MacDonald. Four Centuries of Scottish Worship. Edinburgh: Saint Andrew Press, 1972.

RPCNA. The Biblical Doctrine of Worship: A Symposium to State and Clarify the Scriptural Teachings Concerning Worship with Emphasis on the Use of the Biblical Psalms in Christian Worship. Pittsburgh? Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America, 1974.

rsc

[Edited on 2-15-2006 by R. Scott Clark]

Farley, James J. "The Presbyterian Tradition of Worship, Applied to Today's Churches." San Francisco Theological Seminary, 1978.

Allen, Horace T. A Presbyterian Congregation at Worship. Philadelphia: Geneva Press and John Knox Press, 1975.

RPCNA. Symposium on the Biblical Doctrine of Worship. Pittsburgh: Reformed Presbyterian Church in North America, 1973.

rsc

Davies, Horton. Worship and Theology in England. Volume 2: From Andrewes to Baxter and Fox, 1603-1690. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1975.

Scott,
Thanks that is more like it. I will give you credit for the Jarmen; that looks right on track. You get a free book for it. U2U or email me for choices.
The two RPCNA I think are the same and it was on my list.
The others I am not certain really go into the RPW. I would immediately suspect the Allen and Farley (ask any PCUSA type about the RPW and they will go RPwhat??). The Olds and the Ross may not either but I will check them out (I'd seen the Olds and discounted it previously but perhaps wrongly so. I guess it depends on what "touched upon" means). The Maxwell looks interesting but will depend on if it actually brings up the RPW. If any more check out I'll let you know and you may get some more books Scott.:) If you have any of these and can check them out please let me know.

Jeff,
This looks like a reprint as the series I have seen dated in the 1960s. I should have said, no reprints. Sorry.

Scott,
Thanks that is more like it. I will give you credit for the Jarmen; that looks right on track. You get a free book for it. U2U or email me for choices.
The two RPCNA I think are the same and it was on my list.

The others I am not certain really go into the RPW. I would immediately suspect the Allen and Farley (ask any PCUSA type about the RPW and they will go RPwhat??).

I wouldn't make that assumption. H O Olds was/is in the mainline and he knows what it is.

Just because they don't observe it (any more or less than most of us do) doesn't mean they don't write about it!

Olds certainly knows what it is. That volume is one of the most important volumes on Ref'd worship in modern times.

Here's another:

Beardslee, John W. "Some Implications for Worship in Traditional Reformed Doctrine." Reformed Review 30 (1977): 210-15.

Remarkably the Poythress essay is the only thing that comes up under "exclusive psalmody." Nothing comes up under "regulative principle" for the years 1970-79 in ATLA.

If someone wanted to make the case that the 1970's were not only a bad years for music (witness: disco) but also for Reformed theorizing about, study of, and exposition of the RPW, this would seem to be prima facie evidence.

This is also the time when the baby boomers started to assume positions of power and authority in the churches and schools and not long after came Shine Jesus Shine etc.

rsc

Jeff,
Does Davies talk about the RPW?

It is cited in In Pursuit of Plainness, The Puritan Principle of Worship. This quote leads me to believe that he does:

There are, in fact, few studies on the worship of English Puritans. Contemporary articulations are helpful in expounding the chief tenets of the regulative principle, but the interest of such authors is primarily apologetic rather than historical. Consequently, it is difficult to find material on the development of worship in English Puritanism. One notable exception, however, is the work of Horton Davies, who has done extensive research on the subject of worship in England. 2 Making extensive use of his findings, we shall attempt to present the results of his research as it relates to our topic.

2. Horton Davies, The Worship of the English Puritans. (Westminster: Dacre Press, 1948); Horton Davies, Worship and Theology in England. Volume 2: From Andrewes to Baxter and Fox, 1603-1690. (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1975); Horton Davies, The Worship of the American Puritans, 1629-1730. (New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 1990).

It is also cited in Brian Schwertley's
Sola Scriptura and the Regulative Principle of Worship where he quotes the work:

"œ[T]he value of providing a biblical warrant for all the ordinances of Puritan worship was that this gave these ordinances an August authority for those who used them, as the Puritans did, in the obedience of faith." 37

37 Horton Davies, Worship and Theology in England, 1:71.

If it is anything like his smaller History of the English Puritans, it will discuss it alot.

You can look at the covers here.

Just as an FYI, I found vol. 1 was published in 1970 as well.

Davies, Horton. Worship and Theology in England: Volume 1 from Cranmer to Hooker, 1534-1603. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1970. 482 pages.

Davies, Horton. Worship and Theology in England: Volume 2 from Andrews to Baxter and Fox, 1603 to 1690. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1975. 592 pages.

Jeff,
Thanks for the info; I am pretty sure that Davies work dates to the sixties, but will check. I saw volume 5 of the series dated 1965.

Does anyone actually have Old's The patristic roots of reformed worship? Seems to be hard to come by second hand.

Jeff,
Thanks for the info; I am pretty sure that Davies work dates to the sixties, but will check. I saw volume 5 of the series dated 1965.

No worries brother. I just hope your endevour goes well. :handshake:

Does anyone actually have Old's The patristic roots of reformed worship? Seems to be hard to come by second hand.

It is EXTREMELY hard to find. I have been looking for quite some time, and have found nothing.

Jeff,
You may be right after all. The set was published in 5 volumes by Princeton University Press, 1961-1975 but it does not appear that they appear in order, at least not as they are numbered now.

I have a copy, he discusses what we would recognize as the RPW on pp 24-35. He does not use the expression and the indices are quite limited (it's a publication of a PhD Diss from Neuchatel).

His Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures vol 4 (Reformation) is also quite valuable, though doesn't address (so far as I can tell) the RPW directly. I just point this out for those who might not be aware of his work. He covers not only the 16th century Reformation, but also Protestant orthodoxy. The breadth and quality of the treatment is quite impressive.

rsc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back