Rousas Rushdoony Lectures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
I don't remember where or when, but there was one time when I stumbled across a website that had 100's of lectures, probably, by Rousas Rushdoony for free. Does anyone know of such a website? The search engines aren't turning anything up.

Once upon a time, I had all the tapes from his public teaching that became his Institutes of Biblical Law--much of them word-for-word. What a wonderful thing his teaching was to me as a young Christian man. They have since wasted away and become unusable. I also have a signed copy of the Institutes.

Last edited:
RJR was a great man in many ways, but it is best only to listen to him in small doses.
Agreed. I've gained a lot from him, and intend to have him in my rotation of reading for the rest of my life; however, he has some very strange views on many things, and often has to be taken with more than a pinch of salt.

Once upon a time, I had all the tapes from his public teaching that became his Institutes of Biblical Law--much of them word-for-word. What a wonderful thing his teaching was to me as a young Christian man. They have since wasted away and become unusable. I also have a signed copy of the Institutes.

I know what you mean. I had those, too.

I don't think I am in any danger of becoming a reconstructionist any time soon. I just find him interesting because, given his theonomic interests, he paid really close attention to the Old Testament law and it's interpretation.

I don't think I am in any danger of becoming a reconstructionist any time soon. I just find him interesting because, given his theonomic interests, he paid really close attention to the Old Testament law and it's interpretation.

Very true. He notices a lot of neat implications.

I think North corrected Rushdoony in a lot of ways. Rush's theology spiraled out of control towards the end of his life. North's Baptized Patriarchalism documents it. Also see this bio (which the guys at Chalcedon got mad at me on a Facebook thread for posting, even though it was common knowledge).

https://negatingthevoid.wordpress.c...-split-on-church-membership-dominion-files-2/
This is opening up a huge can of worms, but I'm sure you will agree that North, Jordan, and the other Tylerites (Chilton, Sutton) held to some very dangerous theology. It was essentially proto-FV. It should also be noted that they never left any of that dangerous theology; two of them are in churches where their peculiar theology is accepted (North in the CREC, and Sutton in the REC), Chilton is dead, and last time I checked, ironically, Jordan is not accountable to any church body (though he teaches in various CREC churches).

This is opening up a huge can of worms, but I'm sure you will agree that North, Jordan, and the other Tylerites (Chilton, Sutton) held to some very dangerous theology. It was essentially proto-FV. It should also be noted that they never left any of that dangerous theology; two of them are in churches where their peculiar theology is accepted (North in the CREC, and Sutton in the REC), Chilton is dead, and last time I checked, ironically, Jordan is not accountable to any church body (though he teaches in various CREC churches).

I'm aware of it. I don't worry too much about "proto-influences." Genealogical proofs and charges are always hard to make stick. CMF sold Berkhof for a while, so Berkhof could even count as proto-FV (in fact, I know a Covenanter today who makes exactly that charge!).

Back to Rushdoony. His One and the Many is the best thing he has written. Read it at least twice. Foundations of Social Order is generally correct and makes some brilliant insights on Barth, but Rush isn't really an authority on Athanasius, so he shouldn't be treated as one. His book on van Til is actually pretty good, but no one references it.

A man of wide and deep learning. When he was right--he was dead on; when he was wrong, well he always doubled down. I think his eminence grise status in the nascent home school movement was his greatest achievement. Most home schoolers do not know his name, much less his works, and would recoil at his beliefs.

Unfortunately, it seems that many of the lectures have no been monetized by Chalcedon. Most of them now cost you something, though not all. It could be worse: it could be Wordmp3.

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful to you. Thanks for showing me that.

No problem. Wordmp3 has done some really shady things over the years. They've gotten better about it, but they used to sell tape series for big bucks when you could download the same thing from sermonaudio.

to any who are interested, send me a PM some time this evening. I have a cache of them that I will have on my google drive for the next week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back