Robertson Links Sharon Stroke, God's Wrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
Robertson Links Sharon Stroke, God's Wrath

By SONJA BARISIC, Associated Press Writer 57 minutes ago

NORFOLK, Va. - Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister
Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for "dividing God's land."
ADVERTISEMENT

"God considers this land to be his," Robertson said on his TV program "The 700 Club." "You read the Bible and he says `This is my land,' and for any prime minister of
Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, `No, this is mine.'"

Sharon, who ordered Israel's withdrawal from Gaza last year, suffered a severe stroke on Wednesday.

In Robertson's broadcast from his Christian Broadcasting Network in Virginia Beach, the evangelist said he had personally prayed about a year ago with Sharon, whom he called "a very tender-hearted man and a good friend." He said he was sad to see Sharon in this condition.

He also said, however, that in the Bible, the prophet Joel "makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who 'divide my land.'"

Sharon "was dividing God's land and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU (
European Union), the
United Nations, or the United States of America," Robertson said.

In discussing what he said was God's insistence that Israel not be divided, Robertson also referred to the 1995 assassination of Prime Minister
Yitzhak Rabin, who had sought to achieve peace by giving land to the Palestinians. "It was a terrible thing that happened, but nevertheless he was dead," he said.

The Anti-Defamation League issued a statement urging Christian leaders to distance themselves from the remarks. Robertson made similar comments as the Gaza withdrawal occurred, it said.

"It is outrageous and shocking, but not surprising, that Pat Robertson once again has suggested that God will punish Israel's leaders for any decision to give up land to the Palestinians," said Abraham H. Foxman, national director of the group, which fights anti-Semitism. "His remarks are un-Christian and a perversion of religion. Unlike Robertson, we don't see God as cruel and vengeful."

The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said a religious leader "should not be making callous political points while a man is struggling for his life."

"Pat Robertson has a political agenda for the entire world, and he seems to think God is ready to take out any world leader who stands in the way of that agenda," Lynn said in a statement.

Robertson spokeswoman Angell Watts said of critics who challenged his remarks, "What they're basically saying is, `How dare Pat Robertson quote the Bible?'"

"This is what the word of God says," Watts said. "This is nothing new to the Christian community."

In August, Robertson suggested on "The 700 Club" that American agents should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who has long been at odds with U.S. foreign policy. Robertson later apologized for his remarks, saying he "spoke in frustration."

___link

"God considers this land to be his," Robertson said on his TV program "The 700 Club." "You read the Bible and he says `This is my land,' and for any prime minister of
Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, `No, this is mine.'"

I thought the whole world was His, not just a tiny strip in the middle east. :(

The earth belongeth to the Lord and all that it contains; the world that is inhabited and all that there remains. For He upon the waters vast did its foundation lay. He firmly has established it upon the floods to stay. Psalm 24

I'm surprised the ADL and other pro-Judaist groups are so harsh on Pat. If it weren't for him and jewphile American Dispensationalists of his ilk they and Israel would probably have been destroyed by now.

I can't believe this.... Doesn't this guy learn? At first I thought it was a joke, I figured "it just isn't possible he would say something like that again."

Originally posted by Peter
The earth belongeth to the Lord and all that it contains; the world that is inhabited and all that there remains. For He upon the waters vast did its foundation lay. He firmly has established it upon the floods to stay. Psalm 24

I'm surprised the ADL and other pro-Judaist groups are so harsh on Pat. If it weren't for him and jewphile American Dispensationalists of his ilk they and Israel would probably have been destroyed by now.

Jewphile? Should we be Jewphobes? Are you suggesting that Jews are more totally depraved than the rest of us? That's unfair. I try hard to be depraved!

Like John the baptizer's dad, let us pray that Pat will go mute but only when he is in the presence of the news media.

Originally posted by alwaysreforming
I can't believe this.... Doesn't this guy learn? At first I thought it was a joke, I figured "it just isn't possible he would say something like that again."
ditto.

Originally posted by puritansailor
And he wonders why people won't take him seriously.....
...and I wonder why so many still do take him seriously.

Scary thought. Do you remember when Pat Robertson ran for president? What if he had won?

Nothing new to contribute to this thread except agreement and:

"His commments about Sharon cannot be defended or apologized for."

The real problem is that some people DO take him seriously.

Originally posted by Ivan
Originally posted by turmeric
I try hard to be depraved!

Oh my!

Actually, I don't have to try. My point was to humorously say that no race is more wicked than another. It was late, I wasn't thinking clearly, probably an unfortunate choice of words.

Originally posted by blhowes
Originally posted by puritansailor
And he wonders why people won't take him seriously.....
...and I wonder why so many still do take him seriously.
:ditto::ditto:

And then there are those who not knowing any better put all Christians in his camp"¦.. I mean yes there are those who think I´m crazy because I agree with Jay Adams when it comes to psychology and mental illness but is beside the point. I spend more time explaining doing damage control from he Joyce Meyer, Kenneth Copeland. Sometimes I am even told I´m wrong because of the fact I´m not on TV. (If you were right God would give you your own show"¦" So I guess CNN is the agent of God

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back