Robert Shaw's Commentary on the Westminster Confession of Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
I believe there is a lot of agreement on the PB that Robert Shaw's Commentary on the Westminster Confession of Faith remains one of the very best commentaries of the confession. Am I correct?

I was wondering if this Commentary makes many references to the WLC. I regard the WLC as one of the best confessional catechism's available so I am wondering if Shaw makes good use of it in his commentary?

If my memory serves me correct, he does not refer to it often. His expositions are very much saturated in Scripture. It is a mighty fine commentary on the Confession. I would highly commend it to you.

It has the reputation of being the most extensive commentary on the Shorter Catechism by a Scottish Presbyterian. I read it some years ago and loved it. I should get another copy.

Another excellent commentary that should be reprinted is: Lectures on the Shorter Catechism of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, Addressed to Youth by Ashbel Green; 2 volumes (Philadelphia: Presbyterian Board of Publication, 1841). Green (1762-1848) is not as well-known as some of his American Presbyterian brothers, I think.

Even though it's addressed to the youth, his arguments are pretty sophisticated. I guess they just don't make youth the way they used to!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back