Robert Rollock on confidence in prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
And first, learn, concerning prayer: All prayer for things heavenly and spiritual concerning the life to come (I speak not of the worldly things, but things heavenly and spiritual) should arise on some certainty and assurance of the heart, that God will grant to us the things we ask.

Therefore James in his Epistle last chap. 15. verse. he calls prayer, the prayer of faith, that is, that rises of faith and assurance in the heart, that God will grant us the thing we ask. John in his first Epistle, last chap. 14. verse, he joins these two together, confidence or assurance, and prayer, and he says. This is that confidence we have in the Lord, that, if We aske any thing according to his will, he will hear us:

There is confidence in prayer, that, when we pray, we should have that assurance that God will give us these things we seek, not according to our will, but according to his own will. It is his will that we should have these heavenly things, through the blood of Christ. And therefore our prayer for them should rise on confidence, that God will grant them for Christ’s sake.

For the reference, see Robert Rollock on confidence in prayer.

Thank you for this. I sang Psalm 5 privately this morning so this was very appropriate. I have been praying for the Lord to give me the grace to be more consistent and singing, praying, and Scripture reading. It is difficult to pray confidently when I fail so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back