Robert Lewis Dabney on solo singers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The pious taste is outraged by the monopolizing of sacred time, and the indecent thrusting aside of God’s holy worship to make room for “solos,” which are unfit in composition, and still more so in execution, where the accompaniment is so hopelessly out of relation to the voice that if the one had the small-pox (as apparently it often has St. Vitus’ dance) the other would be in no danger of catching the disease, and the words, probably senseless at best, are so mouthed as to convey no more ideas to the hearers than the noise of Chinese tom-toms. Worshippers of true taste and intelligence, who know what the finest music in Europe really is, are so wearied by these impertinences that they almost shiver at the thought of the infliction. The holy places of our God are practically turned into fifth-rate Sunday theatres.

For the reference, see Robert Lewis Dabney on solo singers.

Either it is scriptural or it is not, and on that question, I don't think solo performance should be done in the worship service. But I don't think quality is the issue; Dabney gives ground to be charged with snobbery here doesn't he? Sorry; haven't read the whole at the link if that is dispensed with there.

Last edited:
Either it is scriptural or it is not, and on that question, I don't think solo performance should be done in the worship service. But I don't think quality is the issue; Dabney gives ground to be charged with snobbery here doesn't he? Sorry; haven't read the whole at the link if that is dispensed with there.

I agree with you entirely. Still, you have to admit that his comment about fifth-rate Sunday theatres is rather funny.

St Vitus Dance was (is) a disease that causes jerky uncontrolled movements of the body. So I think the suggestion is that the soloist contorts him or herself in strange ways while singing.

Honest question: what about Col 3:15, 16: "And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." Wm. Hendriksen's commentary on these verses, summing up:

"For the rest, it is well to bear in mind that Paul’s purpose is not to lay down detailed rules and regulations pertaining to ecclesiastical liturgy. He is interested in showing the Colossians and all those to whom or by whom the letter would be read how they may grow in grace, and may manifest rightly the power of the indwelling word. His admonition, therefore, can be applied to every type of Christian gathering, whether on the Sabbath or during the week, whether in church or at home or anywhere else."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back