Robert Annan on the danger of opposition to scriptural psalmody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... The question between us and our antagonists is, in my opinion, come to this—Is the Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ one Testament? Is it given by the inspiration of God, or not? Did holy men of God speak as moved by their own passions and local prejudices, or as moved by the Holy Ghost? If the book of Psalms be such as many represent it, and if it must be set aside from the peculiar use for which the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ intended it, I see not but it is a thrust at the whole Bible, and implicitly dishonours and subverts the whole. ...

Conscious of much unworthiness, and that I am less than the least of all saints, yet I should shudder to chime in with the prevailing defamation, not to say blaspheming of that part of the Word of God, the book of Psalms, which indeed falls equally, though indirectly, on the whole of the Old Testament, and from that rebounds with equal force on the New Testament; for without faith in the one, I cannot see how there can be a true and saving faith in the other. The saying of the apostle respecting the law, is equally applicable here — “He that offends in one point, is guilty of all.” Whoever lifted up a tool on God’s altar, was guilty of polluting it. But what impure tools have proud, carnal, daring mortals, lifted against the Bible, with the pretext, as they say, of smoothing and polishing the rough stones thereof! But they have by their foolish and sinful attempts diminished its majesty, sublimity, grandeur, and dignity, and made ‘it like the works of men, and not of God. If those men could with equal ease form our globe into a smooth surfaced ball, no doubt they would try their hands on it, and imagine they had greatly improved it. But it is not as easy to spoil God’s works, as it is to reproach and blaspheme his Word. ...

For more, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back