Righteousness of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
I realize there a few similar threads. So I am wondering what, in particular, would the Righteousness of God specifically refer to? I am have leaned many different ways but, I am seem now to lean toward, 'status before God' or 'righteousness from God'. The reformers had this view did they not? Today even among so called reformed interpreters in the post NPP world, the bend is toward salvific righteousness, covenant faithfulness, a vindictive righteousness or the attribute of God or a mixture of all of the above. Some of it is driven from the NPP and its precurors as a done deal with regard to OT studies on the word(s). What is your view? Any good commentaries on this or resources on the righteousness of God? Seifrid does not believe in imputation and advocates a vindicated view so I am not sure what to think of his essay in Justification and Variegated nomism.

There are a variety of nuances connected with the term, especially in light of the Old Testament usage, and particularly in the Psalms and Isaiah. There is no doubt that from a redemptive historical point of view the righteousness of God relates to the covenant people of Israel and the fulfilment of what God has promised in relation to the nations. But in key passages like Rom. 1 and 3, and Phil 3, the apostle uses the term in the context of individual salvation, contrasts law and gospel as two distinct administrations of righteousness, and emphasises the importance of personal faith in Christ under the gospel. The context therefore demands that the righteousness of God be understood, not as a divine attribute, but as an administrative provision and legislative act by which the sinner comes to be regarded as righteous in the sight of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back