Righteousness in Proverbs -- Waltke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

Puritan Board Junior
I heard Bruce Waltke give this as a lecture (available free on WTS' website as an .mp3 download), but it's also in the latest WTJ and is available as a free .pdf download. Anyone else listen to/read this? Thoughts? I thought it was very insightful. I had never thought of proverbs as a more detailed application of the law to more specific life-situations the way Waltke explained it. :think:

I heard Bruce Waltke give this as a lecture (available free on WTS' website as an .mp3 download), but it's also in the latest WTJ and is available as a free .pdf download. Anyone else listen to/read this? Thoughts? I thought it was very insightful. I had never thought of proverbs as a more detailed application of the law to more specific life-situations the way Waltke explained it. :think:

Hi Casey,

I just received my copy of WTJ last night and saw that article. I had Waltke at Westminster Seminary California for a week-long seminar on "Preaching the Proverbs" back in 1999.

Anyone read or listen to this yet? I found many insightful points in the lecture. One such point was that Proverbs are applications of God's law to more specific life-situations, in comparison to the rather broad statements in the Ten Commandments. This seems to turn the Proverbs into law. I find Waltke to be pretty convincing.

In another lecture (available off the WTS audio area), he makes an interesting observation: That most wisdom literature is not concerned about the history of salvation but, rather, is working within the confines of creation. So, for example, in Proverbs we don't read anything about Adam/Eve, Abraham, and the progress of salvation, but we do read about right-relatedness in various creational relationships, such as employer-employee, husband-wife, father-son, etc.

-----Added 1/8/2009 at 06:57:04 EST-----

:candle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back