Richard Sibbes on Christ as the chosen head of the elect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Christ was chosen before all worlds to be the head of the elect. He was predestinate and ordained by God. As we are ordained to salvation, so Christ is ordained to be the head of all that shall be saved. He was chosen eternally, and chosen in time. He was singled out to the work by God; and all others that are chosen are chosen in him. There had been no choosing of men but in him; for God saw us so defiled, lying in our filth, that he could not look upon us but in his Son. He chose him, and us in him. ...

If we respect eternal salvation, or grace, or office, Christ was chosen in respect of his manhood; for, as it is well observed by divines, Christ is the head of all that are predestinate; and the human nature of Christ could not merit its choice, it could not merit its incarnation, it could not merit union with the Godhead, it was merely from grace. How could Christ’s manhood deserve anything of God before it was? Things must have a subsistence before they can work: our blessed Saviour is the pattern of all election, and his manhood could not merit to be knit to the second person; as how could it, being a creature? Therefore the knitting of the human nature of Christ to his divine, it is called the grace of union. The choosing of the human nature of Christ to be so gracious and glorious, it was of grace. ...

For more, see:

https://reformedcovenanter.wordpres...es-on-Christ-as-the-chosen-head-of-the-elect/

Daniel, the link does not work even when you copy and paste it.

Sibbes is one of my favourite authors hence I am interested in what work this is taken from.

Daniel, the link does not work even when you copy and paste it.

Sibbes is one of my favourite authors hence I am interested in what work this is taken from.

I thought that you could use your special powers as an Administrator to fix the link. ;)

The reference is Richard Sibbes, A Description of Christ (1639) in The Complete Works of Richard Sibbes, ed. Alexander B. Grosart, Nichol’s Series of Standard Divines. Puritan Period (7 vols, Edinburgh: James Nichol, 1862-64), 1: 9-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back