Richard Muller Back in Print

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Someone on Twitter pointed out that Baker Academic is putting Muller's Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics back in print, as of November of this year. The 4-volume set has a list price of $196, though I'm sure diligent souls will be able to find it for somewhat less than what the publisher wants.

How long has it been out of print? Has there been changes to it? Is it a good work to have?

Someone on Twitter pointed out that Baker Academic is putting Muller's Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics back in print, as of November of this year. The 4-volume set has a list price of $196, though I'm sure diligent souls will be able to find it for somewhat less than what the publisher wants.
I dont know about that. As of now, before the reprint, the standard price for the set is going for $400-$500 since it is out of print. $196 is the bargain for that work on the current market. It has been steady $160 on Logos for the entire time though.

I dont know about that. As of now, before the reprint, the standard price for the set is going for $400-$500 since it is out of print. $196 is the bargain for that work on the current market. It has been steady $160 on Logos for the entire time though.
Got it for a 100 on logos in a sale. Steal.

This is correct. Baker's DoS emailed me a few months ago asking us if there would be interest in Muller. Of course, that was an affirmative.

We should be the first with the sets, and of course the cheapest.

I am not familiar with Logos... is it like buying a .epub/pdf that can be then sent to any e-reader? or the book can only be read on their platform?
They have a free reading app that can be accessed on a phone, tablet, or computer. Comes with a lot of free stuff, and you can buy and add any of their products to the free app ... books and such. They also give a free book out each month, with an additional group of books listed at reduced prices that can be added to the free offering if someone chooses. I'm currently dipping into Thomas North's translation of Calvin's Institutes, the first English translation, and very cool if you like the quaint language of that time (I do). Cost me $9.99 If I recall correctly.
https://www.logos.com/free-book-of-the-month

They have a free reading app that can be accessed on a phone, tablet, or computer. Comes with a lot of free stuff, and you can buy and add any of their products to the free app ... books and such. They also give a free book out each month, with an additional group of books listed at reduced prices that can be added to the free offering if someone chooses. I'm currently dipping into Thomas North's translation of Calvin's Institutes, the first English translation, and very cool if you like the quaint language of that time (I do). Cost me $9.99 If I recall correctly.
https://www.logos.com/free-book-of-the-month
It sounds really good, I may give it a try. My only concern is what would happen if somehow they go out of business... would I be able to extract my books? in Amazon, one can download one's books and edit them and send them to any e-reader...

I mentioned this in a post last week, but here is the link for ordering directly from Baker

I am looking forward to seeing the reformation heritage offering though. I will likely cancel my order there and switch once it is available.

It sounds really good, I may give it a try. My only concern is what would happen if somehow they go out of business... would I be able to extract my books? in Amazon, one can download one's books and edit them and send them to any e-reader...
For what it is worth, the company had 70 million revenue in one of the past years. That does not give you 100% assurance, but one would be hard-pressed to think how they can go out of business.

IF someone buys them over, the new company would surely not just throw away what Logos has done in cross tagging and linking so many references, along with its software that has been heavily researched for improvement over many years. And I don't think there will ever be a competitor for Logos going head to head.
All this to say - the only way Logos goes out is if for some reason bible software as a whole goes out, which I cannot imagine happening from a business-perspective.

Do you know if/when Muller is planning to add more volumes. I had heard talk in the past that he had plans to do so.
I took a couple of classes in seminary from Dr. Tom McCall, who studied for his Ph.D. under Muller. He said Muller was writing more volumes. However, that was over five years ago, and nothing has come of it, and Muller is pushing 80 years old.

I took a couple of classes in seminary from Dr. Tom McCall, who studied for his Ph.D. under Muller. He said Muller was writing more volumes. However, that was over five years ago, and nothing has come of it, and Muller is pushing 80 years old.
Well considering I couldn't have written volume 1 in 500 years I'd expect any further volumes to take some time.

As a matter of fact, Muller will be 74 tomorrow (October 12). Bonus fact: he's a native of Flushing, New York.

I’m not generally intimidated by big books but I am by these.

How difficult is the content and who do you think should be investing their time into them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back