Retired and Tired

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Roger D Duke, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger D Duke

Roger D Duke Puritan Board Freshman

Hello all:

One brother here has already told me that it took me a long for me to finish my registration here. But I am easily distracted, LOL!.

I was called to preach at the age of 30. I had one daughter 3 and one on the way. I was a Journeyman Pipefitter/Welder by trade and had never even taken the college entrance exams. I ended up doing five degrees in my 30s and 40s into my 50s with four of them being theological degrees. I was a "calminian" until I came to Mid America Baptist Theological Seminary.

Then I came under the tutelage of Dr. Jimmy Millikin and Dr. Tom J. Nettles and became a full blown Five Pointer. I went on to do my doctorate at The University of the South-Sewanee and picked up my MDiv along the way at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary after Dr. Al Mohler became president.

I was the Religion and Communications professor for the Baptist College of Health Sciences in Memphis for 18 years. Actually I have been in the higher education classroom for 20+ years. I have also been blest to teach Ethics on the master's level for Union University and Spiritual Formation at Memphis Theological Seminary. I retired in 2016 to pursue a preaching, teaching, researching, and writing career. To further those goals I formed the Duke Consulting Group.

It has pleased the Lord to allow me to write about John Bunyan, William Carey, John Albert Broadus, suffering that ministers endure, et al. Some of my works can be seen at my Amazon Author's page here: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0034NNVG0 I have three works I hope to publish soon; one to Kindle, one is under contract to come out next year, and one I am seeking a publisher. I also am Scholar-In-Residence for Stage and Story. See: https://www.stageandstory.org/ I am writing a periodical blog on Bunyan's Characters.

That is probably way too much information about myself. I am hoping to get to post some articles here if at all possible. So private email me if I can serve you or help you. I am at your service.

I know I have told all of you much more than you want or need to know! So you can see why I am retired and tired.

sdg!

rd

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Cedarbay

Cedarbay Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome, Dr. Duke.

3. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

Welcome!

4. PhilA

PhilA Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome

5. SolaScriptura

SolaScriptura Puritanboard Softy

Welcome!

6. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

Welcome, Dr Duke. It is good to see that you have a couple of volumes available on Kindle Unlimited. I will add them to my account in due course.

7. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome to the PB! I look forward to reading some of your works. I am checking out your Amazon page now.

8. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Professor

Hello, and welcome! I got tired (I'm 66) just reading your opening post!

9. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

Roger, welcome to the Puritan Board. I know you from another venue.

10. Roger D Duke

brother. Brown,

Sir you have me at a disadvantage. In what venue do you know me? Please advise when possible. I would certainly like to have a new friend.

sdg!

rd

11. Von

Von Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

12. Roger D Duke

brother. Bookworm,

See anything that looks like it might be worth reading?

Let me know.

rd

13. Roger D Duke

Dear Reformed Covenanter,

If and when you read something please get back to me with feedback, OK?

sdg!

rd

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

Bill is probably referring to the Baptist Board. (I can't remember what his user name is there.) I've lurked there occasionally over the years but probably have less than 25 posts.

:welcome:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.