Restoring Family Worship, Part 1: Its Decline and Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Bob Gonzales

Puritan Board Junior
There was a time in the early days of this nation when family worship was a “household word” (no pun intended). Generally speaking, Christian families understood it to be their duty to conduct in family worship in the home. Unfortunately, this commitment to family worship slowly weakened so that few professing Christians engage in family worship today. I believe family worship is a practice that needs to be restored in our homes. That will be the goal of this four-part study. In Part 1, we'll survey its decline and offer a working definition. In Part 2, I'll offer some biblical support. Then we'll consider some of the positive benefits of family worship in Part 3. Finally, I'll offer some practical guidelines for conducting family worship in Part 4.

Restoring Family Worship, Part 1: Its Decline and Definition

Just added the next installment:

Restoring Family Worship, Part 2: Some Biblical Support

The third installment is now available:

Restoring Family Worship, Part 3: Some Positive Benefits

The final installment is available:

Restoring Family Worship, Part 4: Some Practical Guidelines

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Great topic, Bob.

The quote by Alexander summarizes it well, in both its simplicity and profundity:

Family worship is the occasion in which the members of a given family gather together in order to participate in special acts of worship, such as the singing of praise, the reading and hearing of Scripture, and the offering of prayer to God.

It's as a simple as men taking fifty minutes to lead this in their home on the Lord's Day, read the Bible and discussing it among family, praying together, and singing a hymn or psalm.

This discipline can be taught as part of a new member's class, ought be a required pattern for church officers, and an ordinary part of the life of every believer.

This discipline can be taught as part of a new member's class, ought be a required pattern for church officers, and an ordinary part of the life of every believer.

How can you require something the Scriptures do not?

Maybe that depends on whether we can substantiate that a man leading family worship is part of "ruling his own household well," given in 1 Tim. as a qualification for elders. I think it's reasonable to infer that it is. A man who does not lead and teach his family in their spiritual lives does not have his household in good order from a Christian perspective.

Requiring a certain form of family worship probably goes beyond Scripture.

Just my :2cents:

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XXI Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Days

VI. Neither prayer, nor any other part of religious worship, is now, under the Gospel, either tied unto, or made more acceptable by any place in which it is performed, or towards which it is directed:[27] but God is to be worshipped everywhere,[28] in spirit and truth;[29] as, in private families[30] daily,[31] and in secret, each one by himself;[32] so, more solemnly in the public assemblies, which are not carelessly or wilfully to be neglected, or forsaken, when God, by His Word or providence, calls thereunto.[33]

[30] JER 10:25 Pour out thy fury upon the heathen that know thee not, and upon the families that call not on thy name: for they have eaten up Jacob, and devoured him, and consumed him, and have made his habitation desolate. DEU 6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: 7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. JOB 1:5 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually. 2SA 6:18 And as soon as David had made an end of offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of hosts. 20 Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself! 1PE 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered. ACT 10:2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

I getcha... Family worship is required by all families, most certainly by those who are supposed to be role models for the rest of the congregation.

However, can a church realistically require these things? How does a church confirm whether a family is worshipping in the privacy of their home? How does a church determine what is meant by 'at all times'?

KMK

I getcha... Family worship is required by all families, most certainly by those who are supposed to be role models for the rest of the congregation.

However, can a church realistically require these things? How does a church confirm whether a family is worshipping in the privacy of their home? How does a church determine what is meant by 'at all times'?

Great questions.

If one goes right down the list for officers (deacons and elders) per I Timothy 3 and Titus 1, one finds that the wife of the officer is also "qualified." She too must meet her qualifications. In addition, she is asked if she consents to her husband serving- if not, he does not serve.

Being hospitable is also a qualification. Not a perfect home, but not a hidden, dysfunctional life, either.

So, both husband and wife are examined, in their home, by a team of elders. They are each asked questions such as about their commitment to family worship.

Remember, Scripture requires officers to have specific giftings God gives (e.g. I Timothy 3), a calling for the office confirmed by others, comprehensive knowledge of Scripture and the doctrines confessed, and an exemplary life.

In practice of a church discerning the officers God is appointing for them are interviews of the officer candidate, his wife, a couple "outsiders" for character references.

High church office such as deacon or elder does not require perfection, but it does require substantial compliance with an exemplary life and that must be confirmed. If a man does not have established a pattern of discipline of seeking God through corporate, family and personal worship, he is not qualified.

Last edited:
I think this is a great topic. I was raised in a Christian home but the only time we prayed together regularly was at meals or at church. We never read the Bible together. I established family worship in my own family about ten years ago. We have been more consitent at some times than others. Ideally, I would like to have it after the evening meal everyday. We have been hit and miss lately, because of our busy schedule. No excuse! The Lord has been convicting me about this. I have read Alexander's book and felt it was a great read and reminder of how important this subject is. I was amazed that puritan families observed family worship every morning and evening. :book2:

Abraham worshipped God with his family. Are Christians who don't hold family worship just paying lip service to the fact that Abraham is father of the faithful? [Abraham also tithed to the King-Priest who brought him bread and wine. But that is another subject.]

Dr. Gonzales referenced James W. Alexander's "Thoughts on Family Worship" in his post. I have not read it before now, but have just begun. It seems interesting so far. Here is a link to the full version on Google books:

Thoughts on Family Worship

Here is some other related material that is included with some editions of the Westminster Standards and should be of interest for those thinking about the matter of family worship:

To the Christian Reader, Especially Heads of Families

Mr. Thomas Manton's Epistle to the Reader

Directory for Family Worship

I agree, great topic Dr. Gonzales. The lack of family worship in my home is something that has been a great source of conviction of late. I have been greatly edified by Joel Beeke's "Family Worship" booklet (part of his excellent "Family Guidance" series), which gives a brief foundational basis for family worship, and some very practical ideas for the institution of such.

I have been greatly edified by Joel Beeke's "Family Worship" booklet (part of his excellent "Family Guidance" series), which gives a brief foundational basis for family worship, and some very practical ideas for the institution of such.

I was just about to mention this booklet as well.....Dr. Beeke also has some wonderful sermons on this topic!

SermonAudio.com - Motivations for Family Worship - 17

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back