Respectable sins & 10 Commandments

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
I recently read Jerry Bridges' book "Respectable Sins," where the thesis of his book is that we in the Church tend to see only the "sins of society" (adultery, murder, etc) as being sinful and bad...but we don't tend to see our pride, lack of self-control, anger, self-centeredness, unthankfulness, envy, jealousy, judgmentalism as being very bad or even as sin, at times.

In doing some reflection on the book, I've been thinking, too, how people might not realize how bad these other sins are as they might not understand the full impact/force/extent of the 10 Commandments as it extends to every thought, word, deed.

But then I thought of a question I need some help with -- how are the "respectable" sins listed above clearly commanded against in the 10 commandments? Which commandment applies to each of these sins and how? I know that envy/jealousy is obviously a 10th commandment issue...the WLC says that pride is a 1st commandment issue (and I know there is overlap in the commandments as well), but I could use some thoughts/explanation about how all these "respectable" sins relate to the 10 commandments.

Christ ties anger in clearly with murder in the Sermon on the Mount. "Judgmentalism" is--let's be honest--a form of hatred.

Self-centeredness is a clear violation of the first commandment, as is unthankfulness--you are setting yourself up as an object of worship and robbing God of the honor due him. Pride, same deal.

Self-control I would have to think about some more. You're spot on with envy and jealousy.

Lack of self-control could fall under the 6th, 7th, or 8th commandments depending on whether the expression of the lack self-control is in violence towards others, lust, or laziness.

Anger is a 6th commandment violation. "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.' But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment..."

Self-centerdness is ultimately worship of self which is contrary to the 1st commandment. It can have expression in transgressions of the other commandments.

That should get things started.

Edit: Jonathan beat me to the punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back