Resources on General Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgkortus

Puritan Board Freshman
I will be writing a research paper on the topic of general revelation. At this point I do not have a specific direction for the paper in mind.

What resources do you recommend? Full books on the topic? Excerpts from books/systematic theologies? Articles? Etc.

As always, please 'like' or 'second' those resources already mentioned in the thread that you agree are valuable!

Greetings Matt; I am sorry I did not reply to this thread sooner. The old Princeton Theologians, especially Benjamin Breckenridge Warfield had a very different understanding of natural revelation then those in the Dutch Reformed tradition.

I will be writing a research paper on the topic of general revelation. At this point I do not have a specific direction for the paper in mind.

What resources do you recommend? Full books on the topic? Excerpts from books/systematic theologies? Articles? Etc.

As always, please 'like' or 'second' those resources already mentioned in the thread that you agree are valuable!
Take a look at www.apologetics315.com/
They have a section on Natural Theology that might be helpful.
Both Dr. Tim McGrew and Doug Groothuis have written about this in a helpful way.
William Paley and Bishop Joseph Butler might also be older writers to consult.
Thomas Reid is another important philosopher to consult. His philosophy in some ways underpinned old Princeton thought.

Last edited:
Turretin is most helpful as always. My guess would be that Bavinck and Berkhoff would also be useful.

Milne's The WCF and the Cessation of Special Revelation has a section, although I don't remember how helpful it was.

A Puritan Theology contains a section on the matter.

If one is seeking to understand how the doctrine of general revelation is used or abused in relating scientific findings to the teachings of Scripture (and perhaps relate them to the Reformed conception of the doctrine?), Wilhelmus a Brakel has some interesting things to say in his Christian's Reasonable Service. From the "creation science" perspective, here is an article with lots of references to follow up on: https://creation.com/scripture-and-general-revelation. There was also some journal article on the matter that I found from following references at creation.com, but I don't remember where it is. Bavinck has some things written on the matter, e.g., Certainty of Faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back